Container Disk on wrong external drive, can't write to it

I have 2 external drives - OWC MiniStack STX Media and the G-Drive USB-C Media. I installed an NVME SSD on the OWC MiniStak, but when I powered everything on, the disk container for the SSD is under the g-Drive USB-C Drive - not the drive it's in. Worse, I can't write anything to the new NVME SSD but no problems writing to the OWC 2TB drive in the same enclosure.

Is there a way to move container disk6 from the G-Drive USB-C Media to the OWC miniStack STX Media? I can't seem to find a way. And because the NVME is associated with the G-Drive, Disk Utility doesn't know it's a solid state drive...

Any help would be appreciated. Backing up all the drives as we speak...

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Jul 13, 2023 7:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2023 8:44 AM

nedorama1 wrote:

I have 2 external drives - OWC MiniStack STX Media and the G-Drive USB-C Media.

I installed an NVME SSD on the OWC MiniStak, but when I powered everything on, the disk container for the SSD is under the g-Drive USB-C Drive - not the drive it's in.

Worse, I can't write anything to the new NVME SSD but no problems writing to the OWC 2TB drive in the same enclosure.

Is there a way to move container disk6 from the G-Drive USB-C Media to the OWC miniStack STX Media? I can't seem to find a way. And because the NVME is associated with the G-Drive, Disk Utility doesn't know it's a solid state drive...

NVME is a SDD—

NVMe is an interface specification for communication with NAND flash and next-gen solid state drives and functionally.

Well I don't quite get the complication here...

Is there an issue beyond the naming structure...?

The naming scheme is relative, it is not absolute or necessarily sequential.

you can highlight the drive on the Desktop and change the name of the drive like any file or folder

you can start over to sort issues—

I see you created two Containers (partitions)

Volumes share space in a Container without penality... therfore you can add or remove Volumes no penality. Not true with Containers— to regain Container space in the APFS you have to erase the parent drive.

Add, delete, or erase APFS volumes in Disk Utility on Mac

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 14, 2023 8:44 AM in response to nedorama1

nedorama1 wrote:

I have 2 external drives - OWC MiniStack STX Media and the G-Drive USB-C Media.

I installed an NVME SSD on the OWC MiniStak, but when I powered everything on, the disk container for the SSD is under the g-Drive USB-C Drive - not the drive it's in.

Worse, I can't write anything to the new NVME SSD but no problems writing to the OWC 2TB drive in the same enclosure.

NVME is a SDD—

NVMe is an interface specification for communication with NAND flash and next-gen solid state drives and functionally.

Well I don't quite get the complication here...

Is there an issue beyond the naming structure...?

The naming scheme is relative, it is not absolute or necessarily sequential.

you can highlight the drive on the Desktop and change the name of the drive like any file or folder

you can start over to sort issues—

I see you created two Containers (partitions)

Volumes share space in a Container without penality... therfore you can add or remove Volumes no penality. Not true with Containers— to regain Container space in the APFS you have to erase the parent drive.

Add, delete, or erase APFS volumes in Disk Utility on Mac

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

Container Disk on wrong external drive, can't write to it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.