difference between AppleAPFSMedia and Container disk

Hello,

I formatted my external WD 5T drive to 2 APFS partitions, 3T and 2T respectively.

In Disk Utility, View - Show All Devices, it shows one in AppleAPFSMedia and the other Container disk (followed by disk names).

Could someone tell me if I did anything wrong? Why not both volumes in AppleAPFSMedia? How can that be fixed?

My machine is MacBook Pro 16, Apple M2 Pro, Ventura 13.4.1.

Thank you!

MacBook Pro 16″

Posted on Aug 21, 2023 12:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2023 4:37 PM

awu212 wrote:

I actually partitioned the entire drive by dividing it into 2 APFS partitions.

But the name of the Container is odd, I would not expect it...."AppleAPFSMedia". I have seen a Container named that way on some of our organization's internal SSDs as well. Usually when I see that something odd is going on with the partitioning of the drive since I am unable to properly delete or erase such a drive as usual.

It really is weird bc the name AppleAPFSMedia is Container disk 7 today.
It changed without me doing anything. :-(

That is normal. The drive identifiers such as "disk7" are assigned as drives and volumes are connected & mounted. The order of drives being connected & mounted will affect the numbering.

In Disk Utility, View - Show All Devices, it shows one in AppleAPFSMedia and the other Container disk (followed by disk names).

Could someone tell me if I did anything wrong? Why not both volumes in AppleAPFSMedia? How can that be fixed?

When creating the second item, you elected to create another partition instead of another volume. I haven't tried this in a while, but I thought the default option when clicking the "+" in the Partition tab is to create an APFS volume within the same Container....I thought you had to specifically opt out of that option to create a separate partition/Container.

To fix it, you must delete the second Container and try to merge it back into the original Container. Then in the Partition tab , click the "+" and accept creating a new volume instead of partition.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 9, 2023 4:37 PM in response to awu212

awu212 wrote:

I actually partitioned the entire drive by dividing it into 2 APFS partitions.

But the name of the Container is odd, I would not expect it...."AppleAPFSMedia". I have seen a Container named that way on some of our organization's internal SSDs as well. Usually when I see that something odd is going on with the partitioning of the drive since I am unable to properly delete or erase such a drive as usual.

It really is weird bc the name AppleAPFSMedia is Container disk 7 today.
It changed without me doing anything. :-(

That is normal. The drive identifiers such as "disk7" are assigned as drives and volumes are connected & mounted. The order of drives being connected & mounted will affect the numbering.

When creating the second item, you elected to create another partition instead of another volume. I haven't tried this in a while, but I thought the default option when clicking the "+" in the Partition tab is to create an APFS volume within the same Container....I thought you had to specifically opt out of that option to create a separate partition/Container.

To fix it, you must delete the second Container and try to merge it back into the original Container. Then in the Partition tab , click the "+" and accept creating a new volume instead of partition.

Sep 11, 2023 7:00 AM in response to awu212

Thanks for the output!

Can you please confirm whether disk4 and disk5 are two separate external drives attached to your Mac? If not, I'm concerned - something seems wrong and could indicate that you're using some sort of virtualization program provided by WD.

If disk4 and disk5 are physically separate disks, disk5 looks fine and normal based on your provided description. disk7 is the 3 TB APFS container/partition on disk5 and contains one volume inside, and disk6 is the 2 TB APFS container/partition on disk5 and has its own volume inside as well.

disk4 though... that baffles me. Seems strange the way it's set up, especially for its small size.

difference between AppleAPFSMedia and Container disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.