App store says “OPEN” but app is deleted.

Hey ive been having a problem where i have deleted the app Tiktok but is still appears in settings (in the bery bottom where all apps are listed and you can change setting of the app like notifications, etc.) but not in iphone storage. It says in appstore i have the app because it says open but it doesnt do anything. Im practically stuck because i cant delete it because its not in iphone storage, and i really want to re download tiktok.

Posted on Jul 13, 2023 7:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2023 8:27 AM

safarijungle wrote:

Yeah in settings it appears as the grey icon

If you see the app showing as the grey grid, it's stuck between installed and not-installed.

AFAIK, the only way to fix that is backup, reset, and reload.

You might not want that, but it will also get you a backup of your data and contents.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 14, 2023 8:27 AM in response to safarijungle

safarijungle wrote:

Yeah in settings it appears as the grey icon

If you see the app showing as the grey grid, it's stuck between installed and not-installed.

AFAIK, the only way to fix that is backup, reset, and reload.

You might not want that, but it will also get you a backup of your data and contents.

Apr 16, 2024 6:59 PM in response to willa39

willa39 wrote:

Tell me how to close an app that is deleted but says “open” in the App Store. I want to reinstall to my Home Screen but I can’t because the app is open.

Try a forced restart, and check again:

Force restart iPhone - Apple Support

If that does not clear this, do you see these shown where the app icon should be?

if so, backup, factory reset, and re-load:

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support (links to backup & restore)

Apr 16, 2024 7:17 PM in response to willa39

willa39 wrote:

Tell me how to close an app that is deleted but says “open” in the App Store. I want to reinstall to my Home Screen but I can’t because the app is open.

The app can be deleted from your Home Screen, but still in the App Library. In this case the App Store will say "Open". It does not mean that the App is currently open, it just means it will open it from the App Library. You can find the app in the library and put it back on any one of your home screens.

Find your apps in App Library on iPhone - Apple Support

Jul 13, 2023 10:30 PM in response to MrHoffman

Yeah in settings it appears as the grey icon, but again the app isnt installed because its not in my iphone storage but its in the very bottom of settings where all apps are listed. I tried looking it up but it directs me to appstore where again it says OPEN but the app is nowhere to be found. As much as possible i do not want to reset the phone.

App store says “OPEN” but app is deleted.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.