You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Video playback Stutters/Freezes on Mac mini upon changing the system volume.

Hello,

For the past few months I have noticed a problem where video playback stutters or freezes for a second or so whenever the system volume is changed. It seems to be worst when I use the keyboard volume controls, but there is also stuttering if I use the mouse to alter the volume slider in the menubar.

The last time I updated the OS the problem seemed to go away for a short time but has since returned.

The issue happens in both Safari and Chrome, incognito or not.

It seems particularly bad when the video has not buffered or is a live stream.

It's quite frustrating and I've taken to using my external audio mixer's volume control to alter volume when watching videos.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Mac mini, macOS 13.4

Posted on Jul 14, 2023 3:35 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2023 6:47 PM

I have the same thing happening on my M2 Mac Mini. Which application doesn't seem to matter, I have it happening in Firefox and mpv for example. Even when not playing any video what so I ever it feels like there's a big delay between pressing the volume keys on my keyboard and the volume indicator showing any change.

Just rebooting macOS fixes it for a while but it will eventually come back again if I just put the computer to sleep instead of shutting down for a few days.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 10, 2023 6:47 PM in response to LondonBlue

I have the same thing happening on my M2 Mac Mini. Which application doesn't seem to matter, I have it happening in Firefox and mpv for example. Even when not playing any video what so I ever it feels like there's a big delay between pressing the volume keys on my keyboard and the volume indicator showing any change.

Just rebooting macOS fixes it for a while but it will eventually come back again if I just put the computer to sleep instead of shutting down for a few days.

Feb 23, 2024 10:00 AM in response to LondonBlue

Also having this issue, on my M1 mini, running Ventura 13.6.4.

Adjusting the volume up or down, during any video playback, causes the video to stutter.

Also, a potentially related issue, is that anytime my mini plays a system sound (like receiving a message) while I am typing, the key I pressed as the sound played is dropped. Or it will cease to recognize all keyboard input for a few seconds. This is particularly annoying using Messages because if people are messaging me while I'm typing, "evry fw leters ar mssng".

Mar 17, 2024 3:27 AM in response to Pax Webb1

Pax Webb1 wrote:

I also have a M2 Mac Mini running Ventura with the same issue. Very annoying. Will upgrading to Sonoma fix it?

Maybe, maybe not.

Here's the thing: most people have not experienced this problem in either Ventura or Sonoma.

This makes me think that, rather than an OS bug, this may be somehow specific to a few users' particular software setup. If I'm right, then whatever is causing this will probably continue to, if you upgrade the OS.

There are a few easy troubleshooting steps you can take. First, try restarting in Safe Mode. It is slow, but the point here is to check the same problem appears or not.

Also, test while booted normally and logged in to a new user account. Same problem or not?

The two tests will help us determine if some third party software may be behind this.

To examine the issue further:

Please run Etrecheck and post its full report here. Use the "additional text" button and paste the report into the text box.

Video playback Stutters/Freezes on Mac mini upon changing the system volume.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.