MacBook pro 16-inch (late 2019) display issues (horizontal lines)

I have a MacBook pro 2019 16” that is like brand new (used as a desktop - it has been moved only 3-4 times) and suddenly the screen had horizontal lines like a textbook; at the same time extreme machine high temperature (I could literally hear the fans struggling), battery drainage in just a couple of hours (just reading pdf files), caps lock & shift malfunction. 2 different Apple authorized service providers (total check cost 55€) confirmed the excellent condition and excluded the possibility of been caused by hit or other external factors cause by me or by usage (battery charges show how little has been used); all other issues wasn't found on the tech check (their tech program reported that everything is perfect- maybe I dreamed all these issues)! They ask 800€ to replace the screen and they get to keep the old one and the warranty for the new screen is just 3 months!!!

Has anyone had the same issues? Any advice?

MacBook Pro (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Jul 14, 2023 6:53 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Jul 14, 2023 7:45 AM in response to WheelieNick

I know, and that's the frustrating part of the situation. Although is hardware, although I have not contributed to what so ever... the blame is put on me hence I am the one who I should pay for the repair of the hardware manufacturing deficiency. Hence the warranty for the new display is only 3 months... I don't know if it is worth it! I got really disappointed with how my matter has been handled so far and I kind of feel like they lost my trust in the brand. Should I toss it into the trash (or keep it hoping for a recall program) and buy a cheaper laptop with that €800? Should I look for a cheaper service (not authorized)? Should I try replace it myself? Should I take my chances with what they offer? What would you do or did you do. Your opinions are more than welcome.

Jul 14, 2023 8:09 AM in response to elizabethbyron

Consumer products, their warranties, and their extended warranties work in a predictable way.

Warrant-able implies, but does not guarantee, High Quality:

Consumer product makers build high quality products. You can tell because the manufacturer is willing to stand by their products and repair or replace them (but only for defects in materials or workmanship) at manufacturers expense for a stated warranty period.

For Apple Macs in most countries, that period is one year. That is the total responsibility Apple or any manufacturer has to you under law. Assumptions about additional responsibility of Apple or any other consumer product-maker's products working longer than the warranty period are not accurate. The amount you paid for the product has no bearing on this. The rules are the same for a car costing US$20,000 or more.

Electro-mechanical devices fail at random, arbitrary, and capricious times.

The most frequent reason for most failures is 'just because'.

Your specific failure is most likely caused by an advanced scientific principle called ...

... 'bad luck'.

--------

If you want a really substantial lesson how this this works (or more precisely how this stops working) own an older used automobile.

Apple has only two boxes to check:

[_] defects in materials or workmanship, possibly covered by warranty

[_] OTHER, including accidental damage

checking OTHER is not an accusation, it simply says yours is not a defect in materials or workmanship.

MacBook pro 16-inch (late 2019) display issues (horizontal lines)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.