zsh: killed mkdir -m 700 -p "$SHELL_SESSION_DIR"

Hello! I am in dire need of some assistance with my Mac. I was able to install it onto it through brew and was able to use it. My Mac just updated to the Ventura 13.4.1 (22F82). This happened Wednesday July 12th. I opened it up today and this is what my terminal said. 

I am unable to use any commands on my z drive. So my z-drive got killed completely. I have looked up how to fix it and it says to uninstall and reinstall but I am unable to do so because I cannot get into my commands. I am hoping to get this fixed by not having to do a hard reset back to normal because I will lose all my files from school and applications I put on it. I saw someone else ask about it and it said to start a new hard-drive and what not but I am unsure of how to do that. Anything would help.

Posted on Jul 14, 2023 7:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2023 7:29 AM

First place to start would be to create a new macOS user account, log out of your current user account, then log into the new user account to see if you have the same issue when launching the Terminal app. If you don't have the error in the new user account, then something in your own main user account is causing the problem. If the new macOS user has the same issue, then you have something running or configured system wide which is causing the problem.

If the issue is related only to your main user account, then disable all the Login Items to see if one of them is causing a problem. Also make sure to quit all open apps and reboot making sure that the "Reopen Windows when logging in" is unchecked.

If you still have the issue with your main user, then rename or move your hidden Zsh configuration file(s) in your home user folder since one of those zsh files has been misconfigured or is running something which is breaking things. Hopefully that will allow you to regain use of the command line, but any third party items which modified the zsh profile files probably won't work. Then you just need to figure out what in that file(s) is causing the problem.

If the issue is system wide affecting even a new user account, then try booting into Safe Mode. If Safe Mode "fixes" it, then you have some third party software installed which is interfering with the normal operation of macOS.

If all else fails, you can perform a clean install of macOS by erasing the drive before reinstalling macOS....this destroys all data on the drive. Without knowing what caused the problem, you must be careful when restoring from a backup...probably best just to manually transfer your files from a backup unless you want to go through a clean install process several times.

Edit: Forgot to provide links:

Add a user or group on Mac - Apple Support

Use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 17, 2023 7:29 AM in response to kristiana11

First place to start would be to create a new macOS user account, log out of your current user account, then log into the new user account to see if you have the same issue when launching the Terminal app. If you don't have the error in the new user account, then something in your own main user account is causing the problem. If the new macOS user has the same issue, then you have something running or configured system wide which is causing the problem.

If the issue is related only to your main user account, then disable all the Login Items to see if one of them is causing a problem. Also make sure to quit all open apps and reboot making sure that the "Reopen Windows when logging in" is unchecked.

If you still have the issue with your main user, then rename or move your hidden Zsh configuration file(s) in your home user folder since one of those zsh files has been misconfigured or is running something which is breaking things. Hopefully that will allow you to regain use of the command line, but any third party items which modified the zsh profile files probably won't work. Then you just need to figure out what in that file(s) is causing the problem.

If the issue is system wide affecting even a new user account, then try booting into Safe Mode. If Safe Mode "fixes" it, then you have some third party software installed which is interfering with the normal operation of macOS.

If all else fails, you can perform a clean install of macOS by erasing the drive before reinstalling macOS....this destroys all data on the drive. Without knowing what caused the problem, you must be careful when restoring from a backup...probably best just to manually transfer your files from a backup unless you want to go through a clean install process several times.

Edit: Forgot to provide links:

Add a user or group on Mac - Apple Support

Use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Jul 16, 2023 5:19 PM in response to kristiana11

kristiana11 wrote:

Hello! I am in dire need of some assistance with my Mac. I was able to install it onto it through brew and was able to use it. My Mac just updated to the Ventura 13.4.1 (22F82). This happened Wednesday July 12th. I opened it up today and this is what my terminal said. 
https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/88039880-7267-4a90-80ee-7b75c4fe399b
I am unable to use any commands on my z drive. So my z-drive got killed completely. I have looked up how to fix it and it says to uninstall and reinstall but I am unable to do so because I cannot get into my commands. I am hoping to get this fixed by not having to do a hard reset back to normal because I will lose all my files from school and applications I put on it. I saw someone else ask about it and it said to start a new hard-drive and what not but I am unsure of how to do that. Anything would help.

I can not help you with your third party/freeware/shareware— "brew"

Homebrew — The Missing Package Manager for macOS (or ...

Documentation

however you can always

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line https://getsupport.apple.com/

Outside the USA—Contact Apple for support and service by phone

See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world.

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

zsh: killed mkdir -m 700 -p "$SHELL_SESSION_DIR"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.