Viewing resolution

Is there a way to display photos in their original resolution (100%)? For example, I have some older digital photos or scans that are 640x480 or smaller and when viewed in photos, it gets scaled up to >200% to fit the screen and becomes somewhat pixelated. Using the slider bar does not let you reduce it to its normal size, at the low end it's only "Fit". Sure I can resize the window for each photo but that's just a ridiculous solution.

Doesn't seem that this would be a difficult feature to include, it should've been there from the start though.

Posted on Jul 14, 2023 8:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2023 8:52 AM

No, not with Photos. Tell Apple what missing features you'd like restored or new features added in Photos via Feedback - Photos - Apple

However, you can set Preview as an editor and then open a photo within the library with Preview.

Set the Preview settings to:

and then use this menu option:

Similar questions

4 replies

Jul 14, 2023 10:08 AM in response to Ken Hart

To open the photo in Preview select the thumbnail in Photo, then ctrl-click or right-click it and use the command "Edit with > Preview".

You can also open your Photos Library in the free trial version of PowerPhotos.

When you double-click a thumbnail in PowerPhotos to view it, the small photos will be opened at 100%.

For example:

I am keeping a PowerPhotos window open, when I am working in Photos. It is very convenient as a second browser.

Jul 16, 2023 9:50 AM in response to Ken Hart

It is a bit disappointing, you are right.

With the previous system version it has not been possible to enlarge photo with a poor resolution to fill the screen, because they became blurry. Many users complained because they wanted to be able to fill the screen or zoom in, even if the photo became blurry.

Apple has changed the behaviour, and now we can again fill the screen even with photos that are having a poor resolution. Only Apple forgot to provide a way to see these photos at 100% - now we are having the opposite problem. I hope they will get it right in the next system version.

Viewing resolution

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.