Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

I am able to use Face ID whenever I am signed onto my account but I have to use a passcode to open my phone whenever I sit it down. My husband has an iPhone 14 and is able to use Face ID after it is shutdown.

Why am I unable to use Face ID to open my phone after it is shutdown? I have set up Face ID and it works only when my phone closes for screen saver. My husband’s IPhone 14 opens for both!

Posted on Jul 14, 2023 11:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2023 6:49 PM

Then he's not shutting it down. It's going into standby. Shut down is powered off, after which it will always require the passcode.

If yours requires a passcode from standby, check your settings. It's possible to disable Face ID to unlock from standby.

4 replies

I am able to use Face ID whenever I am signed onto my account but I have to use a passcode to open my phone whenever I sit it down. My husband has an iPhone 14 and is able to use Face ID after it is shutdown.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.