M1 Pro and Thunderbolt, Repair Post-Mortem and judgement call.

Greetings Everyone !

First time posting on the forum, European here wanting to post within the critical mass of the US market, Ergo model differences may apply ?

A bit of context:

I recently got my MacBook Pro (M1 Pro, 14'', 10/16, 2021) back from repair at an Apple authorized Partner (Bad fall from my sling bag onto the pavement) which saw everything but the logic board and bottom plate replaced.

Back home, where my "Dock" setup is composed of two 24MD4KL-B's Daisychained using thunderbolt with a few extras sprinkled around (Samsung T5 drive and whatnot).

If I recall correctly, I could at the time connect the single Thunderbolt 4 Cable to any of my Mac's three slots with no adverse effects, where as now only the rightside and bottom-most (the one closest to the 3.5 mm jack) seem to mesh with the setup.

My query:

Is this normal ? I do for example recall my old 2019 15'' MBP having noticeably different performance when connecting the power adapter on the right bank of usb-c slots.

Should I bring back my device at the shop to check whether there is something wrong with the connector-plate(?).

I have also noticed a very different tint to the display than what I recall using, is this a known issue ?

Thank you in advance for the time spent answering me!

All the best,

OBF.

MacBook Pro (2021)

Posted on Jul 15, 2023 4:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2023 6:46 AM

Screen tint is internally adjustable by you using the "display calibrate" process built into your Mac. That is not likely to be actionable by itself.

ThunderBolts not working? that's a problem.

Your Apple repair comes with a 90 day warranty. If not satisfactory for any reason, send it back to them and ask them to 'make it right'.

Remember they are not mind readers, and provide a DETAILED list of your complaints.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 15, 2023 6:46 AM in response to optimistic_breakfast_fruit

Screen tint is internally adjustable by you using the "display calibrate" process built into your Mac. That is not likely to be actionable by itself.

ThunderBolts not working? that's a problem.

Your Apple repair comes with a 90 day warranty. If not satisfactory for any reason, send it back to them and ask them to 'make it right'.

Remember they are not mind readers, and provide a DETAILED list of your complaints.

Jul 15, 2023 5:25 AM in response to optimistic_breakfast_fruit

Good morning optimistic_breakfast fruit, yeah, I’d be inclined to say “no”, and as for the tint, maybe… here’s a link to the only recall thing I could find for a MacBook Pro… : 13-inch MacBook Pro Display Backlight Service Program - Apple Support

and there’s one for your keyboard, if it’s misbehaving… same rough section… I’d contact whomever repaired/fixed your M1 MacBook Pro and explain the situation calmly and politely, provide documentation of previous repair… there should be some kinda warranty on repair work done/fixing your MacBook Pro…. I don’t know where you live ( what country+ city) so I don’t know who or where this Apple Authorized Partner/Apple Authorized Service Provider is or how to contact them. Anyways it shouldn’t hurt/might be fruitful to reach out, contact ‘em and give ‘em a call… following my suggestions …

hope this helps

John B

M1 Pro and Thunderbolt, Repair Post-Mortem and judgement call.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.