Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

face id not working iPhone 14 Pro Max anymore

When I bought my iPhone 14 Pro Max face id worked perfectly. After what I can only guess it now works about once in 50 times after SW updates. It worked fine on my previous "regular" iPhone 14. I have done what is suggested on on internet (like reset current and setting it up again, turning off attention and making sure the SW is up to date). I mean it's one week old and no drops or anything, everything else works fine. Is this a known issue and do you have any alternatine suggestions?

iPhone 14 Pro Max

Posted on Jul 15, 2023 11:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2023 11:51 AM

If Face ID isn't working for you, there is most likely something wrong with your TrueDepth camera. First, look at these two articles for help. If that doesn't fix the issue, then make an appointment at the Genius Bar to have your camera issue diagnosed.

If an alert says Face ID has been disabled on your iPhone or iPad Pro - Apple Support

If Face ID isn't working on your iPhone or iPad Pro - Apple Support (AZ)

Make an appointment at the Genius Bar to have it diagnosed.

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 15, 2023 11:51 AM in response to Rochsu

If Face ID isn't working for you, there is most likely something wrong with your TrueDepth camera. First, look at these two articles for help. If that doesn't fix the issue, then make an appointment at the Genius Bar to have your camera issue diagnosed.

If an alert says Face ID has been disabled on your iPhone or iPad Pro - Apple Support

If Face ID isn't working on your iPhone or iPad Pro - Apple Support (AZ)

Make an appointment at the Genius Bar to have it diagnosed.

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Jul 15, 2023 12:37 PM in response to Kurtosis12

It seems like it's not enough to turn off the Require Attention for face ID but at least for now also had to do the same for Attention-Aware Features. At least now works one out of 5 times if I don't leave it unattended for more than 30 seconds. Will read the articles but expected more from a 1600€ phone and also wonder why it worked right out of the box.

Jul 16, 2023 4:18 AM in response to Rochsu

I can't say for sure how it started but it seemed to coincident with updating the software to 16.5.1 (c) or the security patch. However after removing my face ID, passcode and setting up an additional face (both mine) starting essentially from zero it now seems to work.

I don't know guys but probably not a HW issue. Hopefully this might help somebody with similar problems.

face id not working iPhone 14 Pro Max anymore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.