Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

How to customize keyboard shortcut for Add Row Below in Apple Notes?

I did follow some advices such as trying to configure from System Preferences->Keyboard->App Shortcuts

however, from my understanding, Apple's method is based on Text-matching of menu items text, and "Add Row Below" is not in Apple Note's menu items...

Please don't tell me that Apple indeed engineered their shortcut customization system based on menu item text matching....

MacBook Pro (2021)

Posted on Jul 15, 2023 1:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2023 4:19 PM

Add Row Below is in a menu. Unfortunately, it is in a widget (the Column/Row button.)

Standard menus, submenus, and contextual menus can be matched.

Add Row Below is not context-sensitive to the selected row. It is relative the row header button. There's no way it could match that from a shortcut and guess the correct row. Since you have to select the row header widget, a keyboard shortcut would be superfluous.

Apple would have to implement their row/column insertion routine as an actual menu item associated with the row cells. Numbers has a menu item for it. Notes table widget doesn't even have its own contextual menu.

Send them feedback. The Notes table widget has a long list of drawbacks. I wouldn't put that one high on my list of fixes, but I don't think Apple and I see eye-to-eye on what are important features/fixes.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 15, 2023 4:19 PM in response to niron1

Add Row Below is in a menu. Unfortunately, it is in a widget (the Column/Row button.)

Standard menus, submenus, and contextual menus can be matched.

Add Row Below is not context-sensitive to the selected row. It is relative the row header button. There's no way it could match that from a shortcut and guess the correct row. Since you have to select the row header widget, a keyboard shortcut would be superfluous.

Apple would have to implement their row/column insertion routine as an actual menu item associated with the row cells. Numbers has a menu item for it. Notes table widget doesn't even have its own contextual menu.

Send them feedback. The Notes table widget has a long list of drawbacks. I wouldn't put that one high on my list of fixes, but I don't think Apple and I see eye-to-eye on what are important features/fixes.

Jul 16, 2023 5:10 AM in response to Barney-15E

I didn't find anything. this is the official apple keyboard shortcut for adding a new row in table.

I just pointed out that it doesn't need to "guess the correct row" because it's already bounded to cursor position.

apple could indeed have Apple Notes' main menu changed according to cursor position to enable "Add Row Below". You can have a peek at Microsoft's OneNote to see how it works.

to sum up - the context exists, it doesn't need to "guess the correct row"

Jul 16, 2023 10:27 AM in response to niron1

niron1 wrote:

I didn't find anything. this is the official apple keyboard shortcut for adding a new row in table.
I just pointed out that it doesn't need to "guess the correct row" because it's already bounded to cursor position.
apple could indeed have Apple Notes' main menu changed according to cursor position to enable "Add Row Below". You can have a peek at Microsoft's OneNote to see how it works.
to sum up - the context exists, it doesn't need to "guess the correct row"

You were asking for a shortcut to "Add Row Below", and there is one, as you said... so what is the problem now?

How to customize keyboard shortcut for Add Row Below in Apple Notes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.