Email received: 'An account recovery request was made for your Apple ID' - however I haven't made any such request!

Someone else is clearly trying to gain access to my Apple ID today. The email received gives a contact phone number (which of course isn't mine) and it says that that the bogus number will receive a text message or phone call in about 3 weeks time to an American number in a city which I've never been to as I live in a completely different continent.

The email goes on to say that I can 'cancel account recovery' which I would like to do as it's not me making the request, however, when I click on the link, it just takes me to an Apple page saying that my account cannot be verified.

Please can someone tell me how to permanently cancel this bogus request? And how to secure my account to stop this being able to happen again? And also any advice will be much appreciated on how to secure my Apple ID generally as I'm clearly under some kind of attack. Yesterday I received an earlier email from Apple asking me to verify my email address as a request had been made to reset my password or unlock my account and the email contained a 6-digit code and again of course it wasn't me making the request. Only I know my existing Apple ID password and I am in control of all my devices. I welcome any advice that anyone can give please. Thanks very much indeed.

Posted on Jul 15, 2023 3:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2023 3:31 PM

It'd be best to follow the steps to reset your password and check for unknown devices at If you think your Apple ID has been compromised - Apple Support Once you reset your password it cancels account recovery.

2 replies

Email received: 'An account recovery request was made for your Apple ID' - however I haven't made any such request!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.