This “Rapid Security Response” update is made to sound very serious, but doesn’t give as much of the usual details about fixes. Have you guys noticed these before? My phone updates automatically overnight but I happened to see it scheduled.

Have you all noticed these “RAPID SECURITY RESPONSE” updates before? I have never notice them…?

===

This update is made to sound very serious but doesn’t get specific about everything it does - like what it is patching that was compromised, etc. Why is that? And does everyone get a “Rapid Security Response” update? Almost makes you feel like you’ve been compromised or targeted. LoL

Posted on Jul 15, 2023 4:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2023 5:21 PM

LuckyBetz wrote:

Have you all noticed these “RAPID SECURITY RESPONSE” updates before? I have never notice them…?

They’re a recent thing: New Rapid Security Responses are delivered only for the latest versions of iOS, iPadOS, and macOS, starting with iOS 16.4.1, iPadOS 16.4.1, and macOS 13.3.1.

16.4.1(a) was the first RSR, AFAIK.

This update is made to sound very serious but doesn’t get specific about everything it does - like what it is patching that was compromised, etc. Why is that? And does everyone get a “Rapid Security Response” update? Almost makes you feel like you’ve been compromised or targeted. LoL

Per Apple, WebKit, and “may have been actively exploited”.

Per Apple, 16.5.1(a) is the same as (c), changing only some ID strings visible to web servers from what was (a).

Apple does not typically detail security patches, though the CVE number can usually find more info. It’ll also usually take some time before the details of the issue or exploit become more widely available. This delay is intentional too, as announcing exploit details early puts everybody in a race to either exploit or to patch.

Aggregate list of Apple security patches: Apple security releases - Apple Support (oddly omitting that first RSR)

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 15, 2023 5:21 PM in response to LuckyBetz

LuckyBetz wrote:

They’re a recent thing: New Rapid Security Responses are delivered only for the latest versions of iOS, iPadOS, and macOS, starting with iOS 16.4.1, iPadOS 16.4.1, and macOS 13.3.1.

16.4.1(a) was the first RSR, AFAIK.

Per Apple, WebKit, and “may have been actively exploited”.

Per Apple, 16.5.1(a) is the same as (c), changing only some ID strings visible to web servers from what was (a).

Apple does not typically detail security patches, though the CVE number can usually find more info. It’ll also usually take some time before the details of the issue or exploit become more widely available. This delay is intentional too, as announcing exploit details early puts everybody in a race to either exploit or to patch.

Aggregate list of Apple security patches: Apple security releases - Apple Support (oddly omitting that first RSR)

Jul 15, 2023 4:55 PM in response to LuckyBetz

Hello LuckyBetz!

Apple does not release what the RSR’s patch up.

Yes, I’ve noticed one or two before. Everyone gets them for obvious reasons. Apple wants everyone to benefit from them, not just a few people.

Why do you feel compromised or targeted if you’re part of the thousands and millions of people installing these updates?!

Have a nice day!

This “Rapid Security Response” update is made to sound very serious, but doesn’t give as much of the usual details about fixes. Have you guys noticed these before? My phone updates automatically overnight but I happened to see it scheduled.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.