Auto Suggestions when Highlighting text in any Browser

Every time I highlight text on a webpage this annoying text box appears with a Wikipedia or dictionary or some other suggestion.

What is it and how do I make it stop?

Posted on Jul 15, 2023 8:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2023 12:19 PM

There are three ways I can trigger this lookup panel on macOS Monterey or Ventura:

• Select the text, right-click or two-finger tap on it and choose Lookup from the secondary menu
  • Hover the cursor over the word, and then enter ctrl+cmd+D to invoke Lookup
  • Hover the cursor over the word and three-finger tap on a trackpad if configured in Settings : Trackpad : Point & Click : Look up & data detectors (=⦿).

Pressing and holding on the word does not invoke the Lookup panel for me, even with Haptic feedback enabled.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 16, 2023 12:19 PM in response to RustyRootbeer

There are three ways I can trigger this lookup panel on macOS Monterey or Ventura:

• Select the text, right-click or two-finger tap on it and choose Lookup from the secondary menu
  • Hover the cursor over the word, and then enter ctrl+cmd+D to invoke Lookup
  • Hover the cursor over the word and three-finger tap on a trackpad if configured in Settings : Trackpad : Point & Click : Look up & data detectors (=⦿).

Pressing and holding on the word does not invoke the Lookup panel for me, even with Haptic feedback enabled.

Auto Suggestions when Highlighting text in any Browser

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.