Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

How do I recover deleted text messages from iPhone se

iPhone SE, iOS 14

Posted on Jul 15, 2023 8:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2023 8:17 PM

Hello Breesdad62!

Which Gen. iPhone SE do you have? If it’s the 1st Gen. one, then your deleted messages are gone forever. If you are not on iOS 16 with whatever device you have, your messages are gone forever.

However, if you are on iOS 16, please see: Recover deleted text messages on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support.

I hope this is helpful. Good Luck!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 15, 2023 8:17 PM in response to Breesdad62

Hello Breesdad62!

Which Gen. iPhone SE do you have? If it’s the 1st Gen. one, then your deleted messages are gone forever. If you are not on iOS 16 with whatever device you have, your messages are gone forever.

However, if you are on iOS 16, please see: Recover deleted text messages on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support.

I hope this is helpful. Good Luck!

Jul 15, 2023 8:26 PM in response to Breesdad62

Breesdad62 Said:

"How do I recover deleted text messages from iPhone se"

-------

Recovering Deleted Messages:

A. Check Recently Deleted:

See if they are in Recently Deleted (applies only to iOS 16, as of this reply).

B. Restore from Today's Backup:

Restore your iPhone from a backup of it that contains these messages, and you could recover them.

C. Check Messages App:

If messages was enabled on your iPhone along with your Apple computer, then check and see if the Messages app is enabled on your Mac to see if it exists in it. You'd start up your Mac, not connecting to the Internet, and open the Massages app. Then proceed from there with retrieving it. Important: Be certain you do not connect to the Internet while booting up, as syncing would delete it. So, power off your router to avoid the connection.

Elsewise, if they're gone, they're gone. That's just the way it is :(

Jul 15, 2023 8:28 PM in response to Breesdad62

You have a chance at recovering deleted messages.....IF......

• iOS 16 is installed on your phone...and...
  • The messages were deleted.....after....you installed iOS 16....and.....
  • It has not been more than 30-33 days since the messages were deleted

If your deleted messages can meet all of the qualifications above, you can likely recover them if.....

You tap to open Messages and then tap Edit in the upper left corner of the screen, then tap Show Recently Deleted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.