Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

How to add a contact to an existing group text. iPhone 13 Pro ios 16.5

Please help. How can I add a contact to an existing group text. iPhone 13 Pro IOS 16.5. Everything I’m reading says to us the “add contact” button, but I don’t see that anymore. I started the group of 17 (about a month ago) and now need to add more contacts. Please help! Thank you in advance

Posted on Jul 16, 2023 10:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2023 10:09 AM

If just one person in the group text is not an iPhone (iOS) user, once you've created the group, it can't be edited to add or remove people in the group. If everyone in the group text is iOS using iMessage, the ability to add or delete is an option. Apple controls iMessage. But when a member of a group is not iOS, the message travels via SMS/MMS, which is your carrier and that changes everything in terms of what you can do to edit the group. This is not within Apple's control. It is within your carriers control.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 16, 2023 10:09 AM in response to Joanzell

If just one person in the group text is not an iPhone (iOS) user, once you've created the group, it can't be edited to add or remove people in the group. If everyone in the group text is iOS using iMessage, the ability to add or delete is an option. Apple controls iMessage. But when a member of a group is not iOS, the message travels via SMS/MMS, which is your carrier and that changes everything in terms of what you can do to edit the group. This is not within Apple's control. It is within your carriers control.

How to add a contact to an existing group text. iPhone 13 Pro ios 16.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.