How many more years will Apple support the 2020 Mackbook Air M

How many more years will Apple support the 2020 MacBook Air M1?

I’m asking because my heath is bad (cancer) but I need to buy a new laptop. The question I ask myself is… should I save money and get the M1 or take a chance, spend more money on the M2.

appreciate your help.

Posted on Jul 16, 2023 12:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2023 6:36 PM

I think Apple considers products to be "vintage" 5 years after Apple has stopped distributing them for 5 years. "Obsolete" after Apple has stopped distributing them for 7 years or longer.

This applies to hardware service and repair parts availability. You might get macOS updates for longer. E.g., a Late 2009 iMac can run anything up to High Sierra. High Sierra came out in September 2017, received a point update (10.13.6) in July 2018, and finally dropped out of "the most recent three" with the release of Big Sur in November 2020. So that particular machine could run a current OS for about 11 years, though with other Mac models, your mileage may vary.

Obtaining service for your Apple product after an expired warranty - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 16, 2023 6:36 PM in response to Skeptical Nerd

I think Apple considers products to be "vintage" 5 years after Apple has stopped distributing them for 5 years. "Obsolete" after Apple has stopped distributing them for 7 years or longer.

This applies to hardware service and repair parts availability. You might get macOS updates for longer. E.g., a Late 2009 iMac can run anything up to High Sierra. High Sierra came out in September 2017, received a point update (10.13.6) in July 2018, and finally dropped out of "the most recent three" with the release of Big Sur in November 2020. So that particular machine could run a current OS for about 11 years, though with other Mac models, your mileage may vary.

Obtaining service for your Apple product after an expired warranty - Apple Support

How many more years will Apple support the 2020 Mackbook Air M

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.