How to share Apple TV

How to share Apple TV with family

iPad Pro, iPadOS 15

Posted on Jul 16, 2023 1:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2023 5:00 AM

Apple recommends using Family Sharing for sharing e.g. an Apple TV+ subscription within a small group.

One of the group members has to take on the role of Organizer. That person invites the other(s), each by their Apple ID account. Once the invitee accepts, then the group can enjoy each other’s shareable subscriptions. The organizer and the subscriber do not have to be the same person. In Family Sharing, each group member accesses the shared content through their own Apple ID account — the accounts themselves are not shared (only grouped).

About Family Sharing - Apple

Learn more about what you can do with Family Sharing - Apple Support

Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support

Add a family member to your shared subscriptions - Apple Support

[Purchase sharing is optional for Family Sharing. Purchase sharing is not needed for sharing subscriptions (instead for buy items, like iTunes Store movies). A consequence of using purchase sharing, is that the organizer gets billed for the purchases of the whole group.]

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 17, 2023 5:00 AM in response to Acrobat85

Apple recommends using Family Sharing for sharing e.g. an Apple TV+ subscription within a small group.

One of the group members has to take on the role of Organizer. That person invites the other(s), each by their Apple ID account. Once the invitee accepts, then the group can enjoy each other’s shareable subscriptions. The organizer and the subscriber do not have to be the same person. In Family Sharing, each group member accesses the shared content through their own Apple ID account — the accounts themselves are not shared (only grouped).

About Family Sharing - Apple

Learn more about what you can do with Family Sharing - Apple Support

Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support

Add a family member to your shared subscriptions - Apple Support

[Purchase sharing is optional for Family Sharing. Purchase sharing is not needed for sharing subscriptions (instead for buy items, like iTunes Store movies). A consequence of using purchase sharing, is that the organizer gets billed for the purchases of the whole group.]

Jul 17, 2023 5:32 AM in response to Urquhart1244

Thank you. Found out both parties had to go to settings and turn Family Sharing on. This did not resolve my problem. Apple support asked me to download the latest update which didn’t change anything. Another call to support. This time the advisor asked me on the Apple TV app to click on my name and sign my Apple ID.

This finally allowed me to watch the app for free ( after over 2 hours of trying different things with support )

How to share Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.