When trying to add a printer to my Mac it says that I need to get an updated app version

I need help being able to use a printer I bought some time ago. When trying to add the printer to my Mac it says that I need to get an updated version to put on my computer from the developer?

The printer is a Canon PIXMA MG5520. I tried downloading and that is where it says I need to get an updated version from the developer??? Is there any other way to be able to download the setup on my computer?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jul 16, 2023 3:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2023 4:50 PM

Hi,

A Canon MG5520 is listed in About AirPrint - Apple Support as a model supporting Apple's AirPrint technology.

An AirPrint printer is compatible with macOS (13 Ventura), and can be used without additional drivers, provided that the printer and the Mac are connected to the same network (Wi-Fi router). AirPrint would make it possible to print from an iPhone or iPad, too.

If necessary, and if your router supports it, this guide shows how to use WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup, a simplified way of connecting Wi-Fi):

https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/pixma_printer_wireless_connection_setup/mg5550_printer_wireless_connection_setup/ (the WPS section only).

You may have to reset the printing system before (re-)adding the printer to use AirPrint:

Reset the printing system on your Mac to solve a problem – Apple Support (UK)

Add a printer to your printer list so you can use it on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

See also the following guide about AirPrint setup (for similar models, such as the PIXMA MG5550):

https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/apple_airprint_guide/

If all Wi-Fi settings are OK but the MG5520 is not recognised as an AirPrint printer, try a full power cycle sequence in this order (do not forget the router):

Power off the Wi-Fi router, the printer, the Mac, and any iPhones/iPads/other computers or devices connected to the router. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the router. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the printer. Wait a minute or two. Power on the Mac. Finally, power on all iPhones/iPads/other computers or devices.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 16, 2023 4:50 PM in response to mtnkattcolorado

Hi,

A Canon MG5520 is listed in About AirPrint - Apple Support as a model supporting Apple's AirPrint technology.

An AirPrint printer is compatible with macOS (13 Ventura), and can be used without additional drivers, provided that the printer and the Mac are connected to the same network (Wi-Fi router). AirPrint would make it possible to print from an iPhone or iPad, too.

If necessary, and if your router supports it, this guide shows how to use WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup, a simplified way of connecting Wi-Fi):

https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/pixma_printer_wireless_connection_setup/mg5550_printer_wireless_connection_setup/ (the WPS section only).

You may have to reset the printing system before (re-)adding the printer to use AirPrint:

Reset the printing system on your Mac to solve a problem – Apple Support (UK)

Add a printer to your printer list so you can use it on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

See also the following guide about AirPrint setup (for similar models, such as the PIXMA MG5550):

https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/apple_airprint_guide/

If all Wi-Fi settings are OK but the MG5520 is not recognised as an AirPrint printer, try a full power cycle sequence in this order (do not forget the router):

Power off the Wi-Fi router, the printer, the Mac, and any iPhones/iPads/other computers or devices connected to the router. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the router. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the printer. Wait a minute or two. Power on the Mac. Finally, power on all iPhones/iPads/other computers or devices.

When trying to add a printer to my Mac it says that I need to get an updated app version

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.