Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Should I use two Apple ID if I travel between countries

I am spending my time in between two countries and having trouble with some apps that are not available for the other country.

Is creating a second apple id a good workaround for the problem with the apps not being available. Or will it cause too many problems?

thanks

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Jul 17, 2023 8:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2023 9:12 AM

It's likely going to cause more issues than it solves.

You cannot be logged in to more than one Apple ID at a time on a single device. So that means logging out and logging back in. However downloading purchased content from one Apple ID, will associate that Apple ID to the device, and lock the other Apple ID out of the device for 90 days. So you won't be able to go back to the original Apple ID for 90 days, and then will lock out the other one for a mother 90 days.

You can use a secondary Apple ID, if you have a secondary device to use it on. Otherwise, it just gets extremely messy.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 17, 2023 9:12 AM in response to J-I-R-C

It's likely going to cause more issues than it solves.

You cannot be logged in to more than one Apple ID at a time on a single device. So that means logging out and logging back in. However downloading purchased content from one Apple ID, will associate that Apple ID to the device, and lock the other Apple ID out of the device for 90 days. So you won't be able to go back to the original Apple ID for 90 days, and then will lock out the other one for a mother 90 days.

You can use a secondary Apple ID, if you have a secondary device to use it on. Otherwise, it just gets extremely messy.

May 14, 2024 10:05 AM in response to Seallbay

Seallbay wrote:

You can also switch the region of your Apple ID when living in another country: Change your Apple ID country or region - Apple Support.

That's even messier, because it requires cancelling every single subscription you may have active and waiting for them to expire, before you can actually change the region. Also, you will need a payment method from each region to make the change.

Changing regions is not just like flipping a switch, its fairly involved process, that is not recommended just for a temporary change.

As mentioned the most convenient and practical thing if you travel a lot between different regions and require access to the each App Store is to use more than one device, and an Apple ID for each region on a separate device.

Yes, it can be a but cumbersome to manage, but at the end of the day it will make things much smoother.

May 12, 2024 5:06 AM in response to J-I-R-C

It has to be two different IDs for two countries. Apple only lets you have one ID each tied to a specific country. So let’s say you live in Country A, but want to share Subscriptions, Apple Music etc with family in Country B. Different countries have different Apps, and will only accept payment methods for each country. If you Family Share with folks in Country B, needing a Credit Card from Country B, you cannot have your own phone & Apple ID simultaneously using Apps and payment methods from Country A.

Should I use two Apple ID if I travel between countries

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.