Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Pages

With Pages, sometimes when I start a new line, that line seems to be the start of a new paragraph. It changes to double-spacing automatically. After that blue thing, when you click to move down a line, it takes you down two lines instead. I am totally puzzled...

iMac 27″, 11.7

Posted on Jul 17, 2023 10:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2023 1:50 PM

Thanks, Barry. That solved part of the problem. But it doesn't seem to bring the next line up tightly below the one over it. You suggestion brought it up somewhat but not to a tight fit. Here's an image of what the result is.

5 replies

Jul 17, 2023 12:56 PM in response to RichardCampbell2020

Pages starts a 'new line' automatically when it is needed to accommodate an increasing amount of text.

Pressing the return key forces a new line (and, in a word processing document, a new paragraph).

That your press of a return inserts an 'extra' line is due to a user setting of that behaviour. The 'user' could be you, or it could be the 'user' who created the template from which your document is created.

With the paragraph(s) selected, click the format brush to see a list that includes the Spacing controls:

Adjust the Before and After Paragraph settings to meet your needs.

REgards,

Barry

Jul 18, 2023 12:10 AM in response to RichardCampbell2020

"Barry, I got it. Many thanks."

You are welcome, Richard.

I'm assuming that 'I got it' might include reducing the Space before Paragraph setting to 1pt to match the Line spacing setting. Or, you might try setting space before paragraph AND Space after Paragraph each to 1pt.

With space between lines left at 1 pt, that would be enough to distinguish the group of lines in a paragraph from the lines at the end of one paragraph and the following line, at the brginning of the next paragraph.

Regards,

Barry

Pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.