How to attach iMac to stand?

So my IMac model A1418 (bought December 14) has been wall mounted with a VESA Mount since I got it but I’m now wanting to go back to a stand. I’ve bought the stand in the photo but does the back of my Mac need to come off so as to enable me to mount it to the stand? Have I even got the right stand? The slot doesn’t seem to look like anything I’ve seen on YouTube videos involving mounting the thing. Has got me beaten. I’d mention I’m an old duffer - so please make allowances !

Photo of stand and photo of slot on back of Mac.

Driving me mad! Did I buy a MAC that can only be VESA mounted?

[Edited by Moderator]

iMac 21.5″, 10.15

Posted on Jul 17, 2023 10:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2023 12:15 PM

You are correct in that you cannot attach an iMac stand to a factory VESA mounted iMac. The stands on 2012-2020 iMacs are part of the chassis and cannot be removed. This means you cannot retrofit an iMac stand to your iMac. There may be third party solutions however you will need to research them. Of course it may be much easier to replace the Mac if you think you are ready for a new one.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 17, 2023 12:15 PM in response to Pafcboy

You are correct in that you cannot attach an iMac stand to a factory VESA mounted iMac. The stands on 2012-2020 iMacs are part of the chassis and cannot be removed. This means you cannot retrofit an iMac stand to your iMac. There may be third party solutions however you will need to research them. Of course it may be much easier to replace the Mac if you think you are ready for a new one.

Jul 17, 2023 10:56 AM in response to Pafcboy

The iMac is 21.5" (Late-2013) model while the stand is for a 21.5" (4k, 2017) model.

According to this forum post by a respected forum contributor, the stand on the 2012+ iMacs are not removable. They ship from the factory either with a stand or a VESA mounting bracket.

can i remove stand from late-2013 21.5 im… - Apple Community

If you want a stand with this iMac, then locate a stand which attaches to a VESA mounting bracket.

How to attach iMac to stand?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.