How do I disable the "Airtag Found..." notification on my families devices?

A family member is receiving a popup on their iPhone saying "Airtag Found...". It is my Airtag. They click on the popup, they are taken to a screen that's says "! First seen with you..." with a button that says Continue, then a screen that shows a map with dashed lines, and eventually a screen where they can pause notifications for this airtag. The problem is it can only "Pause for today". How do they pause permanently for this particular airtag?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone XS

Posted on Jul 18, 2023 8:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2023 8:48 AM

Per chance, did they have something of yours that has this AirTag attached to ... like your car keys, & then borrowed your car? If so, then the AirTag is working as designed.

The map, with the dashed lines, would indicate to the observer that an AirTag (which is not associated with their Apple ID) was traveling with them and where this occurred.

Again, this is per design to protect people from being tracked.

Note, at the present time, Apple does not provide support for Family Sharing of their AirTags.

Ref: What to do if you find an AirTag or get an alert that an AirTag is with you - Apple Support

By default, an Apple iPhone will have "Find My Network" enabled. This feature (along with Bluetooth being enabled) will allow the iPhone to receive the AirTag's Bluetooth location signal, and then in turn, transmit that location (encrypted) to the Apple servers to be used with the Find My service. That is how you would be able to see it on your iPhone in the Find My app.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 18, 2023 8:48 AM in response to JIM140

Per chance, did they have something of yours that has this AirTag attached to ... like your car keys, & then borrowed your car? If so, then the AirTag is working as designed.

The map, with the dashed lines, would indicate to the observer that an AirTag (which is not associated with their Apple ID) was traveling with them and where this occurred.

Again, this is per design to protect people from being tracked.

Note, at the present time, Apple does not provide support for Family Sharing of their AirTags.

Ref: What to do if you find an AirTag or get an alert that an AirTag is with you - Apple Support

By default, an Apple iPhone will have "Find My Network" enabled. This feature (along with Bluetooth being enabled) will allow the iPhone to receive the AirTag's Bluetooth location signal, and then in turn, transmit that location (encrypted) to the Apple servers to be used with the Find My service. That is how you would be able to see it on your iPhone in the Find My app.

Jul 18, 2023 1:40 PM in response to JIM140

I bring up "Family Sharing" as this may be implemented by Apple in a future firmware update to the Apple AirTags. This may be how to resolve the issue you are referring to here ... where family members would not be "affected" by your AirTag ... and vice versa.

In the mean time, here are your choices. None of these are ideal:

• For each family member iPhone, disable the "Find My Network" feature. Also disable Bluetooth.
  • Remove the battery from the AirTag.
  • Don't use AirTags. Look for another solution for why you decided to use them in the first place.

Alternately, you can contact Apple Support directly for assistance. To do so, simply select the "Support" link on the lower left-hand side of this forum's web page.

Jul 18, 2023 12:11 PM in response to Tesserax

> Per chance, did they have something of yours that has this AirTag attached to....

No. They are continually receiving the popup while traveling with me and the airtag.

The main problem we are asking about is why they cannot say "The airtag in question belongs to a family member. Stop showing me popups about it. Permanently, not once a day, every day." The only option shown is "Pause for today." Also there is no Family Sharing involved. I have an AppleID and they have their own AppleID, no Family Sharing.

Jan 13, 2024 11:34 AM in response to JIM140

I believe the owner of the AirTag has to enable Family Sharing for an AirTag to be shared on multiple devices before IOS 17. The owner will also most likely have to add iCloud+ for more storage. Otherwise, others that are near the owner's tag that they didn't include in their Family Sharing will get the alert that they're being followed, and they can only pause it for 24 hours. After IOS 17 they can share the AirTags with up to 5 more devices. iPhone 15 or newer is required for precise location.

May 14, 2024 10:29 AM in response to Tesserax

Actually, they do. I just got off the phone with Apple support and they said the way to stop getting alerts from a family member's AirTag is to share the AirTag. Go to the Find My app, then go to items, and find the AirTag. Tap on it. Scroll down to Share This AirTag. Click Add Person. Find the family member and select them. Now the AirTag is shared and won't give notices. If your family member shares their AirTag with you, you won't get notices any more.

How do I disable the "Airtag Found..." notification on my families devices?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.