MacBook wouldn't turn on; bought new one, now old one works

I took my MacBook air to the Apple Store for Service because suddenly, it wouldn't turn on or charge. They said they could not repair it there, but can send it out for a costly fix, and recommended purchasing a new one, since this one was 6.5 years old. I purchased a new one. Now, two weeks later, I was looking at my old mac, plugged it in, it charged and works just fine. What do I do now? I just spend $1100 on a new one.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Jul 18, 2023 12:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2023 1:03 PM

Well, there are some thoughts that come to mind:

• Your old MBA is 6 years old, so it's at that point that replacement might be good to do.
  • You are past the 14 day return window, so you can't return it for full refund at this point.
  • Because the Apple Store tech said it couldn't be fixed, you could try bringing it back to the store and ask to speak to the manager. Explain what happened to the manager...it's possible he/she can bend the rules for you and allow you to return the MBA you purchased for a full refund. (Not sure I'd count on this, though).
  • Sell you old MBA outright, and reduce the net cost of your new one.

Hope this is helpful.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 18, 2023 1:03 PM in response to VicFlip

Well, there are some thoughts that come to mind:

• Your old MBA is 6 years old, so it's at that point that replacement might be good to do.
  • You are past the 14 day return window, so you can't return it for full refund at this point.
  • Because the Apple Store tech said it couldn't be fixed, you could try bringing it back to the store and ask to speak to the manager. Explain what happened to the manager...it's possible he/she can bend the rules for you and allow you to return the MBA you purchased for a full refund. (Not sure I'd count on this, though).
  • Sell you old MBA outright, and reduce the net cost of your new one.

Hope this is helpful.

MacBook wouldn't turn on; bought new one, now old one works

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.