Ken Burns effect on iMovie disappeared, what can I do?

I was creating a iMovie project and successfully using the Ken Burns effect. Now I find that the Ken Burns no longer displays the Start and End frames for me to control what I require ( the effect does work but outside my control ). Have I done something that has caused this? I'm using a iMac M1 desktop with 8-core CPU/GPU plus 8GB RAM and iMovie has not stopped / frozen. What I have done to date is modifying the project by making changes to media and sound and saving each change to a different file name.

Appreciate any advice on how to resolve this problem.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac (M1, 2021)

Posted on Jul 19, 2023 1:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2023 2:35 AM

I just solved my own problem, which I should have done in the first instance - save the project, exit iMovie, then launched the app again. Loaded up the exisiting project and the Ken Burns effect worked! Not sure what caused the problem but I'm good now.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 19, 2023 2:35 AM in response to BY9

I just solved my own problem, which I should have done in the first instance - save the project, exit iMovie, then launched the app again. Loaded up the exisiting project and the Ken Burns effect worked! Not sure what caused the problem but I'm good now.

Jul 19, 2023 8:32 AM in response to BY9

Yes, sometimes a simple restart or relaunch will shake out glitches. Sometimes placing the clip into a different newly created project works too.

If the problem returns, try doing the delete/resetting of preferences procedure. To delete/reset preferences open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new empty library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Possibly you may need to reboot to set the changes.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

Glad you were able to solve it.

-- Rich

Ken Burns effect on iMovie disappeared, what can I do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.