lose text messages from one contact when i close messages and open again

I have an iphone 13. When my wife sends me text messages, I see them on the lock screen, but when I open the message app, they disappear. If she sends me a photo or link, I can look at the photos she's sent me and its there, but the messages disappear. If I'm messaging her and she messages me back, I see the texts, but if I close messages and reopen them, they are gone. Some messages are there but some are not. It doesn't seem to matter if it's an iMessage or a regular text. Any ideas? I went to my local AT&T store and they didn't have a clue.

iPhone 13 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Jul 19, 2023 8:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2023 9:20 AM

Please check if your messages are set to be automatically deleted, go to Settings > Scroll down to Messages > Scroll down to Message History. If "Forever" is not selected, this is the reason why some of your messages disappear.

Also if your device storage is getting near full this can also cause this problem. Check your storage by going to settings > General > device storage.

Maybe you blocked the message sender by mistake. To check if that is the case, you can go to Settings > Messages > Blocked.

Make sure your messages are being safely backed up to iCloud, go to Settings > Click your profile > iCloud > Scroll down to Messages and enable it.

Make sure your device is up to date on software.

Try signing out of iMessage then FaceTime (both or this won't work), then restart your device, then sign back in to both and see if that helps.

Good Luck!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 19, 2023 9:20 AM in response to MessageProblems1

Please check if your messages are set to be automatically deleted, go to Settings > Scroll down to Messages > Scroll down to Message History. If "Forever" is not selected, this is the reason why some of your messages disappear.

Also if your device storage is getting near full this can also cause this problem. Check your storage by going to settings > General > device storage.

Maybe you blocked the message sender by mistake. To check if that is the case, you can go to Settings > Messages > Blocked.

Make sure your messages are being safely backed up to iCloud, go to Settings > Click your profile > iCloud > Scroll down to Messages and enable it.

Make sure your device is up to date on software.

Try signing out of iMessage then FaceTime (both or this won't work), then restart your device, then sign back in to both and see if that helps.

Good Luck!

lose text messages from one contact when i close messages and open again

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.