MacBook Pro mid 2012 2.9GHz i7 13" OS X 10.9.5 , safari 9.1.3 , App Store version 1.3 (201.7)

I first wiped the Macintosh disk to get the computer back to "Factory reset" I followed directions from apple so I know I did that correctly, upon 1st startup after that I went to software updates & installed them all (the versions OS X 10.9.5 , safari 9.1.3 , App Store version 1.3 (201.7) are currently what the Mac is now running) I know they are outdated but when I Click the apple icon & "software updates" the system says there are no new updates - I cannot sign in to the App Store which appears to be outdated- when I try to sign into the App Store it says my login is wrong (I know its correct because I can log into iCloud with the same login on my other devices) I cannot enter the 2part authentication code from my phone into the App Store during this process because it is outdated & no box to enter a code comes up - I cannot create a new apple acct on the outdated App Store either it says the action cannot be completed right now - therefore I cannot update safari because I cannot login to the app store to download it,

I was able to download Google chrome browser so that I could try downloads off of the internet,

I looked up later OS versions that should work for this model, downloaded the OS files & ran the installers,

at the end of the process it says that it was successfully installed but when I go back to "About this Mac" tab afterwords it still says OS 10.9.5 - I am completely stuck now, I have a perfectly good laptop that I cannot update in any way rendering it completely useless.

If I can't update this I am NEVER buying another apple product again this is completely ridiculous.

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Jul 19, 2023 10:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2023 1:07 PM

Have you deleted all the installers you downloaded? If not, do that first, then definitely erase again to make sure it's the correct MacOS Extended Journaled format following BDAqua's reply. Then try El Capitan again, but this time in Safe Mode. See If an error occurred while updating or installing macOS - Apple Support

Once you get El Capitan installed successfully, continue with upgrading to the macOS you want and in the end it should fix your App Store sign in issues, too.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 19, 2023 1:07 PM in response to Frustratedmacfixer

Have you deleted all the installers you downloaded? If not, do that first, then definitely erase again to make sure it's the correct MacOS Extended Journaled format following BDAqua's reply. Then try El Capitan again, but this time in Safe Mode. See If an error occurred while updating or installing macOS - Apple Support

Once you get El Capitan installed successfully, continue with upgrading to the macOS you want and in the end it should fix your App Store sign in issues, too.

Jul 19, 2023 11:04 AM in response to Frustratedmacfixer

Slow down, I get your frustration but you're getting ahead of yourself with the "If I can't update this I am NEVER buying another Apple product again this is completely ridiculous."

You have to access the macOS upgrades through an Apple support article, Start by upgrading to macOS El Capitan, or Sierra from the links provided at How to download and install macOS - Apple Support

Jul 19, 2023 11:47 AM in response to shoeluvr13

I'm slowly calming, I got fired up there lol, Those are the 2 links I used for the OS installers, yesterday I tried the Catalina 10.15 from that page because apple said it was the most current version that could work for this model & when it didn't seem to change the the "about this Mac" specs I tried the Sierra one from that page & again no change to specs after the installer said it was successful- I then tried the older El Capitan download next & still no spec change after install/run. Am I not running it right? it downloads to my desktop looking like a drive icon & when I click the installer process pops up when I click thru the installer & accept the terms etc. it looks like it downloads properly & it gets to the last page & says "successfully completed" but the apple icon specs never change- I don't know where to go from here, even if it had updated the OS would that also fix the outdated App Store issue at the same time?

MacBook Pro mid 2012 2.9GHz i7 13" OS X 10.9.5 , safari 9.1.3 , App Store version 1.3 (201.7)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.