Apple Music Stops Playing on Wired Headphones

After about 15 seconds into a piece of music, the sound from Apple Music stops even though the indicators show it still to be playing. This happened through my Audioquest Red adaptor as well as when my headphones were plugged directly into the headphone jack. When I play the same music on my AirPods Pro, I have no issues. This is a constant and recurring problem. Attempted remedies included shutting down Music and restarting, restarting the machine and turning the machine off completely. Same issues.

Thanks!

14" M2 MacBook Pro Max

MacBook Pro (M2, 2022)

Posted on Jul 19, 2023 1:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2023 1:56 PM

Hey there Frank Muscara,

As you have no issues when using AirPods, this goes to show the issue stems from the pair of third-party headphones. We'd like to help by ruling out some other possible causes, along with better understanding what's happening:

1. When did this start to occur with those headphones on your Mac?
  2. Does the same issue occur if you test pairing them with a different device, other than your Mac?
  3. Since you have a compatible Mac model, the latest version is macOS 13.4.1. You can verify this by clicking on the Apple logo at the top left corner of the screen, then on ‘About This Mac’. In case you needed it, this link shows how to first back up, then update: Update macOS on Mac

Cheers!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 20, 2023 1:56 PM in response to Frank Muscara

Hey there Frank Muscara,

As you have no issues when using AirPods, this goes to show the issue stems from the pair of third-party headphones. We'd like to help by ruling out some other possible causes, along with better understanding what's happening:

1. When did this start to occur with those headphones on your Mac?
  2. Does the same issue occur if you test pairing them with a different device, other than your Mac?
  3. Since you have a compatible Mac model, the latest version is macOS 13.4.1. You can verify this by clicking on the Apple logo at the top left corner of the screen, then on ‘About This Mac’. In case you needed it, this link shows how to first back up, then update: Update macOS on Mac

Cheers!

Jul 22, 2023 9:24 AM in response to bruno75

Hello bruno75! Thanks for taking the time to answer. My troubleshooting focus was on Sound in the Systems Settings where all seemed fine. However, the Music app sound setting was actually where the problem was. It was not synched with the Systems Setting. When I set the Music app to the computer all seemed to work fine. I still don't have an answer to why Music played fine for several seconds and shut off rather than not playing at all. As long as I can easily fix it I am not going to troubleshoot a system issue like that. There does not appear to be any problem with the Audioquest Dragonfly Red or my headphones.

Apple Music Stops Playing on Wired Headphones

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.