Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Can you move or copy an image from Photos to Files?

I have some images and movies that I would like to move or at least copy from Photos to Files.

When I Air Drop an image or movie to the phone or pad it automatically goes into Photos. This isn’t content I want in my Photos library. Is there any way to move or copy it into Files?

Thanks very much.

Posted on Jul 20, 2023 9:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2023 9:25 AM

You can tap on the "Select" option in the Photos app, select the photos or videos you want to move, and then on the share icon, where you can tap on the Save to Files option.

There is no way that I know of to get the photos straight into the Files App when they are Air dropped.

10 replies

Aug 3, 2023 12:43 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

There is a better way to solve your problem:

On your sending device, copy or move your images or videos into a folder in the Files app. Then select and Share/AirDrop the entire folder to your other device; that receiving device will present an AirDrop dialog box asking you where to save the received folder, then you can save it somewhere in your Files app.

Same solution can be used to AirDrop pdf files. If you don't enclose the pdf files into a folder before AirDropping, the receiving device might put the pdf files into the Books app. (Though OS 16.6 might have provided other options too.)

Can you move or copy an image from Photos to Files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.