Receiving SMS & CALL on IPAD

Hello guys,So recently i decided to do like freelancing job for extra cash. I need an ipad & another phone for my new business number because i dont want to share my private number to public.

So I thought like getting a Wifi & Cellular ipad is the best solution.

However i notice that i cant receive call & Sms Eg OTP from my cellular provider. But when i insert my simcard in my phone every works fine like receiving calls&OTP.

Is there some settings that i missed? This is my first time getting an Ipad Wifi&Cellular. That’s why im abit confused 🥲

iPad (9th generation)

Posted on Jul 20, 2023 9:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2023 9:13 AM

A cellular iPad cannot make or receive phone calls on its own. Maybe this will be helpful.

Make and receive phone calls on iPad - Apple Support

If you want to receive SMS messages, you need to use text message forwarding. This also requires an iPhone.

Forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your Mac or iPad - Apple Support

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 20, 2023 9:13 AM in response to Electus14

A cellular iPad cannot make or receive phone calls on its own. Maybe this will be helpful.

Make and receive phone calls on iPad - Apple Support

If you want to receive SMS messages, you need to use text message forwarding. This also requires an iPhone.

Forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your Mac or iPad - Apple Support

Jul 20, 2023 9:26 AM in response to Electus14

Do you have an iPhone - or only an iPad?

If you have a DataSIM installed in your iPad, the associated Cellular Number is only used to identify your Cellular Account for billing purposes; it is not used to make or receive cellular calls or text messages. An iPad, whether a Cellular model or not, is not capable of directly accessing Cellular Voice or SMS/MMS Messaging features. An iPad with either WiFi or Cellular connectivity alone can only access IP-data services.  An iPad is not, and can never be, a standalone substitute for an iPhone.

However, If paired with an iPhone, the capabilities of iPad significantly broaden to include access to Cellular Voice and Messaging services of the associated iPhone - relayed to the iPad over WiFi using Apple’s continuity features. For the most part, an iPad using Continuity is able to access Cellular calling features, of the iPhone, when both the iPad an iPhone are in close physical proximity andare connected to the same WiFi network - but this is not the end of the story.

Now, if your both your Cellular Carrier and your calling plan support WiFi Calling, your iPad can make and receive calls independently of the iPhone - even when the iPhone is switched off, elsewhere, or using a different WiFi network. Not all carriers support full WiFi calling.

More information about Continuity and the relevant Cellular services can be found here:

Continuity

Use Continuity to connect your Mac, iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch – Apple Support

SMS/MMS Messaging

WiFi Calling

Make a call with Wi-Fi Calling – Apple Support (UK)

When correctly configured, the iPad FaceTime App provides access to Cellular Voice Calling features - whilst Messages supports SMS/MMS messaging services.

So, in conclusion, in conjunction with an iPhone, it is theoretically possible to configure WiFi Calling service for your iPad. After WiFi Calling is enabled and configured, your iPad can make and receive cellular calls whilst connected to a WiFi network (caveat: any associated firewall must not block WiFi Calling or VoIP services) - even in absence of the iPhone.

In addition to native calling features of iPad and iPhone, it is possible to use third-party App to make and receive voice calls using VoIP services. WhatsApp is one example - however, whilst WhatsApp have released an App for iPhone, there is not an equivalent App for iPad. Other services, such as Skype, are available.

As for Cellular messaging, if you have an iPhone - and both iPad and iPhone are signed-in to iCloud with the same AppleID - to send SMS/MMS messages (green bubbles) from your iPad you must explicitly enable Text Message Forwarding for your iPad on your iPhone...

On your iPhone:

Settings > Messages >

• Text Message Forwarding - set to ON - and explicitly enable your iPad from the list of devices
  • MMS Messaging - set to ON (if required)

Also ensure that Messages in iCloud is enabled on both your iPhone and iPad:

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] > Messages - set to ON

Jul 20, 2023 9:33 AM in response to LotusPilot

The reason of me getting an Ipad Wifi&Cellular is for me to be able to use it as 2nd phone on a bigger screen, because my ipad will be like my business phone, which i can do editing and receiving calls & sms.

but if the Cellular Main function if to provide me fast internet when im away from wifi, well it is useless and waste to get Cellular on an ipad, because i can simply Hotspot Data from my Iphone to my Ipad.

i dont need those forwarding msg between my iphone and all. Because like why would i want to receive the same massage on my ipad if i can see it on my phone? Its still like using the same phon number on a different device, it beats the purpose of me buying Wifi&Cellular ipad. Guess Android Tablet Wins on this game

Receiving SMS & CALL on IPAD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.