Screen Mirroring to AppleTV cuts the MacBook Audio (but the Video's Fine)

When I Mirror from MacBook Pro to AppleTV box, I want the video and audio to play on BOTH devices.

Currently, I get both audio & video on the appleTV from the MacBook Pro.

But I get no audio on the MacBook Pro, until I stop the mirroring.

Is this normal? Is there a setting I can change? (99% of the results I got when I googled for "why appletv has no sound")

Posted on Jul 20, 2023 8:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2023 7:31 AM

I think you could accomplish that by setting up a multi-output device.

to set up a multi-output device:

Open Audio MIDI Setup: (found in /Applications/Utilities)

hit the '+' button in the bottom left corner and select "Create Multi Output Device"

then in the panel that appears on the right, in the Multi-Output Device tab, select your mac's internal speakers AND your Apple TV. (Apple TV is not on my list because I don't use it)

then when you need to hear both, choose "Multi-Output Device" in your menubar sound options.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 21, 2023 7:31 AM in response to Doc Crumble

I think you could accomplish that by setting up a multi-output device.

to set up a multi-output device:

Open Audio MIDI Setup: (found in /Applications/Utilities)

hit the '+' button in the bottom left corner and select "Create Multi Output Device"

then in the panel that appears on the right, in the Multi-Output Device tab, select your mac's internal speakers AND your Apple TV. (Apple TV is not on my list because I don't use it)

then when you need to hear both, choose "Multi-Output Device" in your menubar sound options.

Screen Mirroring to AppleTV cuts the MacBook Audio (but the Video's Fine)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.