Ipad stuck in a loop

Ipad is in a power on loop, ie. it wont turn on, only show apple logo for about 5 seconds and turn off only to repeat and finally go into restore mode. It will stay in restore mode for about 15 minutes then turn off and start cycle again. I put it in charger overnight so I know the battery is charged. I attach to laptop with fresh Itunes and it will recognize the ipad and will attempt to restore (or reset, tried both). After 3-5 seconds into the restore process the Ipad will turn itself off, laptop will sense the USB cable is unhooked (loss of link) and the Ipad will turn back on again. laptop will sense USB and the "preparing ipad for restore" is still in Itunes. The ipad will turn off again, will come back on "waiting for ipad" and I will repeat one more cycle and finally give up, get an error 4013 "This Ipad cannot be restored" I think I have some sort of hardware issue that is preventing the Ipad from booting at all, so no amount of restoring will fix

Posted on Jul 21, 2023 1:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2023 2:37 AM

As described, your iPad battery may have reached the end of its usable life. If the battery has failed, the iPad will not successfully boot to a running state - even when connected to its Power Adapter - or remain powered during restore. As such, errors that you see reported by a connected PC or Mac computer merely reflect that the communication link to the iPad is constantly being broken.

At the very least, your iPad requires assessment by an Apple Technician. It is very likely that the iPad will require repair or a replacement battery.

You would be best advised to visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Using the Genius Bar allows you to explore your available options before committing to a repair. As an alternative, you might instead consider use of Apple’s mail-in repair service.

iPad Repair & Service - Apple Support

Otherwise, these support pages should help with troubleshooting general battery and charging issues:

Charge and monitor the iPad battery - Apple Support

If your iPad won't charge – Apple Support

Troubleshooting generally requires substitution of the Power Adapter and cable for another known-good item. Most models of iPad require a Power Adapter rated at 12W or greater to reliably charge. 5W Power Adapters intended for older models of iPhone are inadequate to charge an iPad; if the iPad charges at all, charging will be very slow.

Be aware that many computer USB ports cannot source sufficient power to charge an iPad. Unless explicitly designed for charging connected devices, computer USB ports are typically limited to 0.5-1A @5V (i.e., 2.5-5.0W).

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 21, 2023 2:37 AM in response to Dr_10

As described, your iPad battery may have reached the end of its usable life. If the battery has failed, the iPad will not successfully boot to a running state - even when connected to its Power Adapter - or remain powered during restore. As such, errors that you see reported by a connected PC or Mac computer merely reflect that the communication link to the iPad is constantly being broken.

At the very least, your iPad requires assessment by an Apple Technician. It is very likely that the iPad will require repair or a replacement battery.

You would be best advised to visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Using the Genius Bar allows you to explore your available options before committing to a repair. As an alternative, you might instead consider use of Apple’s mail-in repair service.

iPad Repair & Service - Apple Support

Otherwise, these support pages should help with troubleshooting general battery and charging issues:

Charge and monitor the iPad battery - Apple Support

If your iPad won't charge – Apple Support

Troubleshooting generally requires substitution of the Power Adapter and cable for another known-good item. Most models of iPad require a Power Adapter rated at 12W or greater to reliably charge. 5W Power Adapters intended for older models of iPhone are inadequate to charge an iPad; if the iPad charges at all, charging will be very slow.

Be aware that many computer USB ports cannot source sufficient power to charge an iPad. Unless explicitly designed for charging connected devices, computer USB ports are typically limited to 0.5-1A @5V (i.e., 2.5-5.0W).

Ipad stuck in a loop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.