I can't change the password of my iMac

When trying to change passwords I get this pop up menu. This is my computer and I am the administrator. Even though it continues to change the  password.

[Edited by Moderator]

iMac 21.5″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Jul 21, 2023 12:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2023 2:11 PM

JimDon2022 wrote:

As I mentioned earlier, the password does change. I'm really curious about the dialouge box that pops up??? It's just recently happened.

Your screen shot says" it was not changed..." (?)

if in doubt about admin from your logged in user account, from Terminal.app copy and paste —

dscacheutil -q group -a name admin

If you are not listed as admin then reference the link below

ref:Barney-15E

You can restart the setup assistant to create a new admin user. From the new user you can give your original user Admin capability again....

Restarting Setup Assistant to create Admin user… - Apple Community

Restarting Setup Assistant to create Admi… - Apple Community

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 21, 2023 2:11 PM in response to JimDon2022

JimDon2022 wrote:

As I mentioned earlier, the password does change. I'm really curious about the dialouge box that pops up??? It's just recently happened.

Your screen shot says" it was not changed..." (?)

if in doubt about admin from your logged in user account, from Terminal.app copy and paste —

dscacheutil -q group -a name admin

If you are not listed as admin then reference the link below

ref:Barney-15E

You can restart the setup assistant to create a new admin user. From the new user you can give your original user Admin capability again....

Restarting Setup Assistant to create Admin user… - Apple Community

Restarting Setup Assistant to create Admi… - Apple Community

Jul 21, 2023 2:33 PM in response to leroydouglas

Thank you LeroyDouglas. I tried that on terminal and it does show my name. It seems to be working fine now. I just changed my password again and I didn't get that pop up.

Not sure what's going on. I know the screen shot said it was not changed, but it did change. It seems to working fine now and I'm not getting that message. Not sure what happened for that to happen all of a sudden. But thanks for your time. You have been very helpful. Thank you for the link for future references!!!

Jul 21, 2023 2:39 PM in response to JimDon2022

JimDon2022 wrote:

Thank you LeroyDouglas. I tried that on terminal and it does show my name. It seems to be working fine now. I just changed my password again and I didn't get that pop up.

Not sure what's going on. I know the screen shot said it was not changed, but it did change. It seems to working fine now and I'm not getting that message. Not sure what happened for that to happen all of a sudden. But thanks for your time. You have been very helpful. Thank you for the link for future references!!!

Good computing JimDon2022 — if it was a one-off glitch I would simply ignore it.

I can't change the password of my iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.