Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Unable to update my phone

Trying to update my phone but it’s not going through

Posted on Jul 21, 2023 6:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2023 6:26 PM

rukayat226 Said:

"Unable to update my phone: Trying to update my phone but it’s not going through"

-------

Please Provide More:

What's you iPhone model? What are you looking to update to? Without that being provided, read the following...

Updating an iPhone to iOS16:

Update Using a Computer:

What to Update: Installed apps and the iOS.

How to do so...

A. Verify Compatibility:

Identify your iPhone model. The first thing that comes to mind in incompatibility being the culprit. So, confirm the model of your iPhone. If iPhone model is incompatible with iOS 16then it is because you iPhone does not meet the hardware requirements for this iOS version(s).

B. If Compatible...

1. Back Up First:

IMPORTANT: If you have an option to update, however, then be certain you backup your iPhone first. That way, you will have something to restore your iPhone from should anything go wrong with the update

then...

2. Proceed with the Update:

Go Here:  Update your iPhone Using a Computer - User Tip

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 21, 2023 6:26 PM in response to rukayat226

rukayat226 Said:

"Unable to update my phone: Trying to update my phone but it’s not going through"

-------

Please Provide More:

What's you iPhone model? What are you looking to update to? Without that being provided, read the following...

Updating an iPhone to iOS16:

Update Using a Computer:

What to Update: Installed apps and the iOS.

How to do so...

A. Verify Compatibility:

Identify your iPhone model. The first thing that comes to mind in incompatibility being the culprit. So, confirm the model of your iPhone. If iPhone model is incompatible with iOS 16then it is because you iPhone does not meet the hardware requirements for this iOS version(s).

B. If Compatible...

1. Back Up First:

IMPORTANT: If you have an option to update, however, then be certain you backup your iPhone first. That way, you will have something to restore your iPhone from should anything go wrong with the update

then...

2. Proceed with the Update:

Go Here:  Update your iPhone Using a Computer - User Tip

Jul 21, 2023 6:18 PM in response to rukayat226

Go to Settings/General/About and note the iPhone Model Name, then check its version compatibility from this list:

• iPhone 8 or newer, including SE 2nd and 3rd editions, you can update to 16.5.1(c)
  • Any iPhone series 6S and 7, and original SE: You can update to 15.7.7
  • iPhone 5S or 6: You cannot update to iOS 13 or higher; you can update only to iOS 12.5.7
  • iPhone 5: You can update only to 10.3.4
  • iPhone 5C: You can update only to 10.3.3
  • iPhone 4S: You can update only to 9.3.6
  • iPhone 4: You can update only to 7.1.2

If your phone is eligible go to Settings/General/Software Update and follow the instructions.

To update over the air from the phone all of these requirements must be met:

• You need at least 10 GB of free storage for iOS 16 or 6 GB for iOS 15 or lower; more is better
  • You must be connected to a Wi-Fi network (and not a personal hotspot) unless it is an iPhone that supports cellular 5G (12, 13, 14 or SE 3rd edition) and has a 5G network connection
  • The phone must be charged to at least 50%, and preferably plugged in so it stays above 50% during the update
  • The phone must not be in Low Power Mode
  • The phone must not be connected through VPN, and it may be necessary to delete any VPN apps and VPN profiles
  • The phone cannot be in Airplane mode and must have a cellular data connection
  • You cannot still have a beta of a previous version installed on the phone
  • You cannot have a previous version that was downloaded, but not installed - go to Settings/General/iPhone Storage to look; if you find an iOS installer, delete it

If you can't meet all of them you can still update using your computer.

Unable to update my phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.