Locked account for 14 minutes

This is so annoying. Start my Mac book pro. Put the correct password three times, my account is locked for 14 minutes. After 14 minutes I press return, don’t change the password, then I’m allowed access. I have already reset this password in the past. Basically I have to wait 14 minutes every time I want to use my computer.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Jul 22, 2023 7:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2023 1:02 PM

There is a way to reset your mac account password without any data loss. This may fix your problem

1. Restart your mac and hold command+r until you see the loading bar. Then release and wait for recovery mode to open
  2. go to the menu bar and click Utilities> Terminal
  3. Type in resetpassword
  4. A prompt should pop up, and from there you can just follow the simple instructions to reset your password
  5. Restart your mac as normal and then see if it works with your new password

Note: Your iCloud keychain will still use your old password

Hope this helps!

[Link Edited by Moderator]

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 22, 2023 1:02 PM in response to Ktophat

There is a way to reset your mac account password without any data loss. This may fix your problem

1. Restart your mac and hold command+r until you see the loading bar. Then release and wait for recovery mode to open
  2. go to the menu bar and click Utilities> Terminal
  3. Type in resetpassword
  4. A prompt should pop up, and from there you can just follow the simple instructions to reset your password
  5. Restart your mac as normal and then see if it works with your new password

Note: Your iCloud keychain will still use your old password

Hope this helps!

[Link Edited by Moderator]

Locked account for 14 minutes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.