Apple TV constantly connects to wrong HomePod mini

My Apple TV in the living room has set as a default audio output an HomePod mini next to the tv in the living room. I have another HomePod mini in the bedroom, and the Apple TV constantly connect with this other HomePod mini too as a temporary audio output. It doesn’t matter how many times I deselect the HomePod in my bedroom from the temporary audio output in settings, the Apple TV constantly add it back.

Living Room TV

Posted on Jul 22, 2023 6:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2023 10:02 AM

Verify that the room designations for each HomePod mini speaker and for the Apple TV box are correctly set. This can be configured in the Home app.

Verify that the HomePod mini speakers have unique device names, to distinguish them when selecting for audio output. This can be configured in the Home app as well.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 22, 2023 10:02 AM in response to alias83

Verify that the room designations for each HomePod mini speaker and for the Apple TV box are correctly set. This can be configured in the Home app.

Verify that the HomePod mini speakers have unique device names, to distinguish them when selecting for audio output. This can be configured in the Home app as well.

Jul 22, 2023 10:34 AM in response to Urquhart1244

Thanks for your answer! The living room HomePod is called “living room HomePod” and the room is living room, the bedroom HomePod is called “bedroom HomePod” and the room is bedroom, the Apple TV is called living room Apple TV and the room is living room - although I noticed that when I see the general view in Home app, the HomePods they all have the same name, “HomePod” because Home removes the beginning of the name, such as “living room” HomePod - not sure why it does like that

Jul 22, 2023 10:50 AM in response to alias83

… removes the beginning of the name …

I think it might be reverse: the room name is shown added in one overview, while the name itself is HomePod for both. Consider renaming to “HomePod A” and “HomePod B”, or less boring: Lennon and McCartney, Valentine and Earl, Luke and Han, Buttercup and Westley, Phineas and Ferb, Castor and Pollux, North and South, Red and Blue; your fantasy is the limit.

Jul 28, 2023 1:50 PM in response to Urquhart1244

Thanks for your answer, unfortunately still no joy.

I renamed both the HomePods mini with different names, they are assigned to different rooms, but the Apple TV keeps using randomly the HomePod mini in the bedroom as a temporary audio output.

I switch it off in the settings of the Apple TV, and after a while it is set on again as a temporary audio output.

Is there a way to disable the temporary audio output? I really don’t need it and I don’t even know how it works

Apple TV constantly connects to wrong HomePod mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.