Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Recover access to iMac

iMac (7+ years old, running Big Sur) has stopped connecting to either of my two BlueTooth keyboards, so I am unable to enter my password to login. (BlueTooth mouse connects.) Is there a way to recover access, or is the iMac toast?

Ralph’s iMac

Posted on Jul 22, 2023 7:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2023 8:01 AM

Connect a USB keyboard.

If either of the Apple Bluetooth keyboards is rechargeable, connect the Lightning cable used to charge the keyboard into the Mac, and try again.

(You might need “the other” Lightning to USB-A or Lightning to USB-C cable, depending on which cable and the USB ports on whichever iMac you have.)

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 22, 2023 8:01 AM in response to ralphbrau

Connect a USB keyboard.

If either of the Apple Bluetooth keyboards is rechargeable, connect the Lightning cable used to charge the keyboard into the Mac, and try again.

(You might need “the other” Lightning to USB-A or Lightning to USB-C cable, depending on which cable and the USB ports on whichever iMac you have.)

Jul 23, 2023 9:34 AM in response to ralphbrau

Interference from other wireless devices can aggravate the issue:

Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference - Apple Support

With my 2017 iMac, the keyboard, mouse and Magic trackpad can all lose connection at the same time if I place my iPhone too close to the keyboard tray that the there devices share.

My older Macbook Pro shows a similar response to the iPhone being too close. It uses a different Apple wireless keyboard and mouse.

Jul 22, 2023 1:20 PM in response to ralphbrau

ralphbrau wrote:

BINGO! The cable restored access! Many thanks!

Next question: Is this likely to be a "one off" event, or does it indicate a developing failure of some kind? (I keep TimeMachine backups, but they are encrypted and may not be useful if the iMac fails.)

🤷‍♀️ Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and keyboards can all have transient glitches, and old iMacs can develop less-than-transient hardware issues.

I usually run with the Apple recharge wireless keyboards and trackpads wired. I have the USB ports available, and don’t mind the wires.

Time Machine backups should be fine for recovery, so long as you remember the password. Enabling iCloud Keychain or using Keychain secure notes or other such can help, there.

I usually run parallel TM archives, as TM does occasionally glitch, HDDs can fail, and the power can drop out at an inopportune moment, etc.

Recover access to iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.