iCloud backup failure iOS 16.5.1

My family has an iPhone 11, 12, and 13. The iCloud backup fails on each phone. The iCloud backup times out with the following message: "poor network connection." This is dead wrong, and a bug in iOs 16.5.1 as we have an extremely fast xFinity WiFi connection (600mbs up and 80 mbs down).

iPhone 12, iOS 16

Posted on Jul 22, 2023 9:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2023 9:46 AM

It may not be the speed that's causing the issue. You can have the fastest speed in the world but be having packet drops, or interference due to too many devices on the same network.

Does your internet have two bands (2.4 GHZ and 5GHZ)? If so, try backing up on a different band.

If not, try backing up on a different network just to test.

Try leaving your device connected to power and wifi for 24 hours.

See this article for more information:

If you can't back up to iCloud - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 22, 2023 9:46 AM in response to Incredibly_Frustrated

It may not be the speed that's causing the issue. You can have the fastest speed in the world but be having packet drops, or interference due to too many devices on the same network.

Does your internet have two bands (2.4 GHZ and 5GHZ)? If so, try backing up on a different band.

If not, try backing up on a different network just to test.

Try leaving your device connected to power and wifi for 24 hours.

See this article for more information:

If you can't back up to iCloud - Apple Support

Jul 22, 2023 10:08 AM in response to Libby101a

I have left my iPhone 12 chargeing for at least 4 hours. I still get the "poor network connection." error message. There are no network overload issues in my home.

This is an issue with the latest xFinity router and a flrmware update for that router occurring in late June 3023. xFinity WiFi now blocks both iCloud updates and iOs software updates as I cannot access iOs 16.5.1(c) - "download and install" is greyed out.

Incredibly annoying issue. I loathe having to seek out Verizon WiFi each time I need to update iOs.

iCloud backup failure iOS 16.5.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.