Will matched files in my itunes library be deleted if I unsubscribe from apple music?

I have a lot of music files that I have transferred to my itunes library over the course of 6+ years. I noticed that some of these files are marked as 'matched' and others as 'uploaded'.

Is it correct that if I unsubscribe from apple music I will lose access to any un-downloaded matched songs?

If I download matched songs from the cloud before unsubscribing from apple music, I will still have access to these songs and can then sync them across my devices?

This is what I have concluded based on answers from these threads: what does "matched" mean - Apple Community & What happens if I cancel my subscription … - Apple Community but just wanting to confirm.

Thanks

Windows

Posted on Jul 22, 2023 9:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2023 8:34 AM

Hi,

When your Apple Music subscription expires, you will lose access to all music except previous iTunes Store purchases (if still available in iTunes Store).

You will keep your matched and uploaded provided you have kept a download. Music downloaded from Apple Music subscription will not be playable.

I also recommend that you keep a backup of your music on a separate drive.

Jim

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 23, 2023 8:34 AM in response to venetiazzz

Hi,

When your Apple Music subscription expires, you will lose access to all music except previous iTunes Store purchases (if still available in iTunes Store).

You will keep your matched and uploaded provided you have kept a download. Music downloaded from Apple Music subscription will not be playable.

I also recommend that you keep a backup of your music on a separate drive.

Jim

Will matched files in my itunes library be deleted if I unsubscribe from apple music?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.