Storage full, not freeing up after deleting

Hi

I have an old ipad A model. 16gb.

I have alot of books on the ipad on both kindle app ( 2.9gb) and ibooks (2.3 gb) Together 5.2mb. The other apps when I look in storage, have storage of roughly 400mb. It says I have a total of 13gb of storage with 12.6gb used. Even if I delete books on kindke app, the 2.9 gb does not go down. Everything I open it up the storage available will change now saying 44.2mb available. Earlier this morning it said I had 100mb available, two days ago over 300mb free.

I think it too old to upgrade.

I have done all the actions suggested on Google search like delete oapps, clear photos but to no avail. Sometimes when I open and start reading it will close down after one page.

Help

Posted on Jul 23, 2023 4:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2023 5:00 AM

Your older model iPad, with only 16GB storage, will always struggle with available storage space. After subtracting the installed Operating System - and sufficient space for the iPad to function and cache working data - you may have as little as 4-6GB of usable storage for files and other data.

If your internal storage is full, your only option is to better manage the storage that you have - and delete unused Apps or unneeded data.  Don’t forget the clear the Trash/Bin and Recently Deleted folders (from which deleted files can be recovered) when deleting data - as otherwise you won’t actually free any storage space for reuse.

These support pages should prove to be helpful:

About storage on your device and in iCloud – Apple Support

What's the difference between device storage and iCloud storage? – Apple Support

Manage your iCloud storage – Apple Support

How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch – Apple Support

Clear Other storage on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 23, 2023 5:00 AM in response to Patd385

Your older model iPad, with only 16GB storage, will always struggle with available storage space. After subtracting the installed Operating System - and sufficient space for the iPad to function and cache working data - you may have as little as 4-6GB of usable storage for files and other data.

If your internal storage is full, your only option is to better manage the storage that you have - and delete unused Apps or unneeded data.  Don’t forget the clear the Trash/Bin and Recently Deleted folders (from which deleted files can be recovered) when deleting data - as otherwise you won’t actually free any storage space for reuse.

These support pages should prove to be helpful:

About storage on your device and in iCloud – Apple Support

What's the difference between device storage and iCloud storage? – Apple Support

Manage your iCloud storage – Apple Support

How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch – Apple Support

Clear Other storage on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Storage full, not freeing up after deleting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.