You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Inaccurate or Unneeded Hearing Warning Notifications

My iPhone is very frequently giving me push notifications about my headphones exceeding a recommended level for safety. The only thing is, I do not have any headphones - I only use an external speaker. The level at which my iPhone issues these excessive warnings is HARDLY loud enough to cause hearing damage, even when I might have it turned up all of the way. I know that is true because I am 54 and have had many years of much louder music than this external speaker could ever supply, plus rock concerts, but my hearing still tests at perfect (as perfect as the test is designed to detect). How might I be able to turn off these slightly counterproductive hearing warning notifications??

iPhone SE, iOS 16

Posted on Jul 23, 2023 8:04 AM

2 replies

Jul 29, 2023 6:59 PM in response to MoonDog2019

I just found a solution in previous posts to Apple Support Communities to my own problem..! I am trying to construct a link here to that answer - but if it doesn’t work, refer to author Ernst Vikne’s own post and own answer, the latter which was posted on Oct 10, 2021 at 1:18 AM (time zone not specified but he’s in Norway). The original question was posted as: “Annoying warning messages about too loud sound“ on Sept 18, 2021 at 7:23 AM.

Essentially, he is saying to go to:

Settings -> Bluetooth -> {select the blue-circled-i on the far right of your device being used, listed under “My Devices”}

Then a new page will appear, allowing you to select Device Type, which can then be switched away from Headphones to something else - probably substantially improving the erroneous sound level measurements that the phone is trying to make: One Apparent Answer to Headphone Warning Problem

Jul 12, 2024 9:47 PM in response to MoonDog2019

Mine gives readings that make absolutely no sense. In a quiet car with the audio and AC off it indicates about 80db. With the volume all the up on my stereo with a very capable subwoofer it indicates 90db or so. In between the extremes, the readings fluctuate by 5-7db. Not sure if my phone or software has an issue or this feature just doesn’t give useful information.

Inaccurate or Unneeded Hearing Warning Notifications

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.