MacBook M1 resolution changes when swapping on Dell u4021qw KVM switch

I use a 20/80 layout on my Dell u4021qw monitor with integrated KVM switch and swap back and forth between my MacBook M1 (connected via Thunderbolt) and MacBook Intel (connected via DP).

The Intel MacBook maintains my set resolution when swapping back and forth just perfectly, but every time I switch the M1 back to the 80% side, it reduces the resolution to 2048x1080, forcing me to go into the display settings and change it back to 3200x1688. It's very frustrating. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Posted on Jul 23, 2023 9:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2023 10:15 AM

Apologies, I didn't realize my M1 wasn't updated to Ventura 13.4.1. That seems to have solved the issue! So glad to have heard the info about the limitations on cable lengths, though. I didn't know any of that. Definitely useful info.

Similar questions

2 replies

Jul 23, 2023 9:34 AM in response to Mattro12

The display must be present at certain times, and Must respond with its capabilities.

The Mac uses a system that reminds me of “Plug and play” to determine what display is connected, and what its capabilities are.

To get a Mac display to become active, you need the Mac to query the display, and the display to answer with its name and capabilities. Otherwise, the display will not be shown as present, and no data will be sent to the display. "No signal detected" is generated by the DISPLAY, not by the Mac.

This query is only sent at certain times:

• at startup

• at wake from sleep — so momentarily sleeping and waking your Mac may work

• at insertion of the Mac-end of the display-cable, provided everything on that cable is ready-to-go

• hold the Option key while you click on the (Detect Display) button that will appear in Displays preferences (from another display)

also, cables that are too long or not quite good enough can cause transmission errors, which later macOS checks for and reduces the resolution until the errors stop.

ThunderBolt displays should have Apple cables no longer than 0.8 meters, Brand X cables no longer than 0.5 meters.

DisplayPort cables and USB-C cables (for displays) should be limited to one meter.

... and YES, I do mean total length, unless there is re-driver circuitry in you KVM or cables.

MacBook M1 resolution changes when swapping on Dell u4021qw KVM switch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.