Air Tag disappeared from FindMy app on iPhone & iPad

Yesterday I misplaced my keys, which have an AirTag attached. When I went to the Find My app on my iPad and iPhone 13, the device was no longer listed on either. This was concerning because I wasn’t sure if someone had found my keys, disabled my AirTag and had my house key. The AirTag was working a few weeks ago in my luggage on airline flights. I was receiving updates regularly. This is a serious issue. You need the AirTag to

be discoverable when the attached item is lost!

AirTag

Posted on Jul 23, 2023 9:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2023 5:24 PM

Turns out the solution was much simpler and ludicrous than any solution suggested anywhere on the Internet.

Finally figured out: Even though my iPhone (including old, unused ones), iPad and AirPods show up in the Find My app under “Devices” there is another option to the right “Items”.  This is where my AirTag is listed, totally counter intuitive when my AirPods are listed under Devices.  AirPods and AirTags are both devices!  Ridiculous!

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 23, 2023 5:24 PM in response to Tesserax

Turns out the solution was much simpler and ludicrous than any solution suggested anywhere on the Internet.

Finally figured out: Even though my iPhone (including old, unused ones), iPad and AirPods show up in the Find My app under “Devices” there is another option to the right “Items”.  This is where my AirTag is listed, totally counter intuitive when my AirPods are listed under Devices.  AirPods and AirTags are both devices!  Ridiculous!

Jul 23, 2023 9:55 AM in response to PS-597

As you know the AirTag has a battery to provide it with power. Should that battery become depleted, it will no longer be able to send out a Bluetooth signal providing its location to either your iPhone or other iPhones within its Bluetooth range (~33'). AFAIK, that battery has about a one-year lifespan ... but, like any battery, that time can be shorter given the environmental conditions it is exposed to.

Assuming the battery is still good with this particular AirTag, it still needs to provide its Bluetooth signal to another iPhone. In turn, that iPhone must have both Bluetooth and "Find My Network" enabled on it, AND, have either a cellular or Wi-Fi connection to the Internet, to send that location information to the Apple servers. It's those servers that you can find your AirTag in the Find My app on your phone.

If you want a means to track something, without relying on the limitations of Bluetooth, you will need a dedicated GPS tracking device instead.

May 4, 2024 2:21 PM in response to PS-597

[ORIGINALLY POSTED BY THAMESWAY]

This is guidance rather than a question. There's a 2021 thread on this but it's now locked. One solution given was turn off Share My Location in settings, then turn it on again. This did not work for me. What did work was turning Share My Location OFF, rebooting the phone, then turning it on again. If you do this don't forget to re-enable Send Last Location.

Then I used the Find My app (with the map), Device, + to add the AirTag. Another oddity is that while investigating all this, I was prompted in the Find My app to sign in - but was already signed in. It seems there were some Ts & Cs that needed acknowledging, once done, Find My app was working again.”

This worked for my iPhone 12 IOS 17.5 on May 4th 2024

Air Tag disappeared from FindMy app on iPhone & iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.