Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

How to fix fast-forward Movies on TV via MacBook HDMI

Hi All, I have this issue since 2 days. My macbook is connected to my tv through an hdmi cable and whenever I want to stream a movie, it plays fast forward like x 30. this happens only if the audio is set on the TV. If I set the sound again to macbook, this problem disappears. How can I fix it?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jul 23, 2023 12:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2023 11:35 PM

Temporary fix until Apple gets their **** together

1. set audio output to TV/HDMI out using Audio MIDI Setup or Sound Settings
  2. restart macbook

should work

11 replies

Jul 24, 2023 5:09 PM in response to martach1401

Hi there martach1401,

The issue you're describing ultimately sounds like it may be an issue with your TV or possibly the content you're attempting to watch. We'd suggest checking the information in this support article to be sure you're using the right connection set up: Connect to HDMI from your Mac - Apple Support

If HDMI is connected properly, try watching some different content in a different app to see if that makes a difference. Also, you may need to reach out to the manufacturer of your TV for more guidance.

Take care.

Apr 30, 2024 3:20 AM in response to Sparks0829

@Sparks0829 This is definitely not an issue with specific content. Moreover, it's not specific to HDMI; it also happens through a Thunderbolt-DP cable. All content is like this, be it something played via YouTube, a local content played using QuickTime player, and even screencasts that I made. One difference is that YT content (probably because it's streaming) quickly forwards, stutters and then hangs in the middle, while local content just whizzes by to the end. It's almost as some piece of multimedia subsystem continuously failed to play one media chunk after another, but I'm just speculating.

I started experiencing it a couple of days or weeks ago (it was not there before, and I didn't make any changes to my hardware except from connecting and disconnecting headphones). Here's my setup: 16-inch MBP (M1 Pro), Sonoma 14.4.1. Video goes through a Thunderbolt-DP cable to a Gigabyte G4WCQ A monitor, and then, using a regular audio cable, to external speakers. There's usually an OWC 11-port Thunderbolt dock in between, but I've also tried without it, to the same result. I also tried without the external speakers, just using the monitor's built-in ones. Surprisingly, even restarting the coreaudio daemon doesn't help, so the issue must be somewhere deeper. The only thing that helps is a full reboot or disconnecting the monitor and switching to the built-in audio device.

Also worth noting is that it's not really important that the monitor is hooked up to the laptop; the audio must go through the monitor itself. After switching to external headphones connected either to the built-in port or the Thunderbolt dock's audio interface, the issue disappears — until the headphones are disconnected.

How to fix fast-forward Movies on TV via MacBook HDMI

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.