cannot use iMessages on iPad because the iPad insists I enter password for a Apple ID I don’t own

I have talk to over six Apple employees over the past 5 years trying to resolve this issue. After back-and-forth phone meetings, all have given up with none giving follow up. Why this is, I do not know. Suffice to say it’s reached an epic level of bad. Again, cannot use iMessages on my iPad gen 3 because the iPad insists I enter password for a Apple ID I do not own. The device defaults to this incorrect Apple ID and from there I’m stuck.

iPad, iPadOS 16

Posted on Jul 24, 2023 3:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2023 4:18 AM

Make sure it is your account that is signed into Messages and Facetime. Sign into a different Apple ID for these services in Settings. Note this has to be the same ID for both. Go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive, and make sure both your telephone number and Apple ID are input there and both show a checkmark. If you need more help, check out this link: Add or remove your phone number in Messages or FaceTime - Apple Support .

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 24, 2023 4:18 AM in response to dan2500

Make sure it is your account that is signed into Messages and Facetime. Sign into a different Apple ID for these services in Settings. Note this has to be the same ID for both. Go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive, and make sure both your telephone number and Apple ID are input there and both show a checkmark. If you need more help, check out this link: Add or remove your phone number in Messages or FaceTime - Apple Support .

cannot use iMessages on iPad because the iPad insists I enter password for a Apple ID I don’t own

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.