Home Pod can't deal with split Apple IDs?

My Home Pods stopped working. When I try to sign them into my account the Home app spins, then says it wasn't able to complete the operation.

My guess from reading the forums is that I've been an Apple customer too long, so I have two accounts because I've been an Apple customer longer than any of these services.

Is this a known bug?

[Email Edited by Moderator]

HomePod (2nd generation)

Posted on Jul 24, 2023 8:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2023 8:34 AM

Ideally you would use one Apple ID for all things Apple. If needs be you can link accounts via Family Sharing such that you can access the unhidden purchase history of both accounts.

If needs be see Reset HomePod - Apple Support and use this method to reset it:

Reset HomePod or HomePod mini

1. Unplug HomePod or unplug the power adapter for HomePod mini. Wait 10 seconds, then plug HomePod back in.
  2. Wait 10 seconds, then touch your finger on the top of HomePod and hold it there.
  3. The white spinning light will turn red. Keep your finger down. 
  4. Siri will say that your HomePod is about to reset. When you hear three beeps, you can lift your finger.

tt2

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 28, 2023 8:34 AM in response to pierce290

Ideally you would use one Apple ID for all things Apple. If needs be you can link accounts via Family Sharing such that you can access the unhidden purchase history of both accounts.

If needs be see Reset HomePod - Apple Support and use this method to reset it:

Reset HomePod or HomePod mini

1. Unplug HomePod or unplug the power adapter for HomePod mini. Wait 10 seconds, then plug HomePod back in.
  2. Wait 10 seconds, then touch your finger on the top of HomePod and hold it there.
  3. The white spinning light will turn red. Keep your finger down. 
  4. Siri will say that your HomePod is about to reset. When you hear three beeps, you can lift your finger.

tt2

Jul 28, 2023 11:13 AM in response to turingtest2

Yeah, well, chicken and egg/catch-22 problem there. When iTunes launched, I had to sign up with my one mailing address. iCloud came later.

Good tip on the Family Sharing, I'll do that, thanks.

Resetting the home pod worked. They're now a stereo pair. They're even playing the Apple TV sound, though turned out I had to set that up via the remote menu, using Settings/Audio didn't work. Don't know why that would be other than they're different code paths.

Home Pod can't deal with split Apple IDs?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.