What do I do if the directions to reset password went to an email address other than mine or my rescue email address

I forgot my password and asked that the directions for resetting the password be sent to my email address. I then noticed that it was sent to some email address that I didn't recognize. I re-entered the request to have it sent to my phone, so I have now changed my password. What I'm concerned about is the other email address it went to.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.7

Posted on Jul 24, 2023 1:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2023 1:42 PM

From: About your Apple ID email addresses - Apple Support

Add or change a rescue [for most people called a notification address] email address

1. Sign in to appleid.apple.com.

2. Select Sign-In and Security.

3. Select Rescue Email. You might be asked to answer one or more security questions or enter your Apple ID password before you continue.

4. To add a rescue email address, select Add email. Then enter your rescue email address, then select Save changes. We send a verification to that address.

5. To change a rescue email address, enter the new address. We send a verification to that address.

6. Enter the verification code and click Continue.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 24, 2023 1:42 PM in response to cgomper

From: About your Apple ID email addresses - Apple Support

Add or change a rescue [for most people called a notification address] email address

1. Sign in to appleid.apple.com.

2. Select Sign-In and Security.

3. Select Rescue Email. You might be asked to answer one or more security questions or enter your Apple ID password before you continue.

4. To add a rescue email address, select Add email. Then enter your rescue email address, then select Save changes. We send a verification to that address.

5. To change a rescue email address, enter the new address. We send a verification to that address.

6. Enter the verification code and click Continue.

What do I do if the directions to reset password went to an email address other than mine or my rescue email address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.