My Apple Watch Ultra OS 9.6 battery drains too fast

My apple watch ultra on OS 9.6 drains battery too fast. 100% in 6 or 7 hrs to 0. Any suggestions? Did a reset twice already. Still the same problem

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Glen Marvin’s iPhone

Posted on Jul 25, 2023 4:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2023 8:11 PM

I’ve had the same issue and seem to completely coincide with the ios 9.6.2 update. Watch was losing 70-80% of battery in about 8 hours. I called Apple support and they did a diagnostic check on my Series 7 battery. Everything checked out OK. I had a theory that the update was causing a program or something to run in the background on my watch that you cannot see. So, to test this I charged my watch fully and closed the “fitness” and “health” apps. If I used those apps throughout the day, i closed them after use. For the day I tested this, my watch went from 100% down to 38% in a 24 hour period…..a huge increase in battery oerformance. I think there is something in the update that tied to one of these apps that is drawing on the watch…..just my un-scientific 2 cents.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 13, 2023 8:11 PM in response to glenteng

I’ve had the same issue and seem to completely coincide with the ios 9.6.2 update. Watch was losing 70-80% of battery in about 8 hours. I called Apple support and they did a diagnostic check on my Series 7 battery. Everything checked out OK. I had a theory that the update was causing a program or something to run in the background on my watch that you cannot see. So, to test this I charged my watch fully and closed the “fitness” and “health” apps. If I used those apps throughout the day, i closed them after use. For the day I tested this, my watch went from 100% down to 38% in a 24 hour period…..a huge increase in battery oerformance. I think there is something in the update that tied to one of these apps that is drawing on the watch…..just my un-scientific 2 cents.

Aug 12, 2023 12:13 AM in response to glenteng

This update has messed up my Ultra’s battery life. It has gone from 100-0% lasting 56h to about 12h before it dies. The worse thing about it is that you cannot downgrade. Only option is to go to the WatchOS Beta.

I hope a patch is made available soon to address this issue. The main reason for upgrading for me was the extended battery life over the normal Watch.

Very disappointed with their QA on this version…

Mar 13, 2024 6:46 AM in response to glenteng

@Apple, when will there be a patch for this? It's still happening to my watch! It feels very ridiculous to charge my watch THREE times in one day. I've only had it for about 6 months, and I traded in my previous watch, which lasted me until evening - for a watch with better battery power. I guess you tricked me.

My Apple Watch Ultra OS 9.6 battery drains too fast

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.