Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Convert a chopped audio file to a sampler instrument (not quick sampler) referencing the original single audio file.

HELP. 🙏🏼

In Logic 10.7.8 I want to convert a chopped audio file to a sampler instrument (not quick sampler) chromatically and have all the chops still reference one single audio file.

This seems like it should be so simple because I used to do it all the time with the EXS24 Sampler. But no matter which method I try, the sampler creates duplicate audio files for each zone every time.

So If I chop up a 10 minute song into 80 regions, the sampler creates 79 copies of that 10 minute song (one for each zone) when I convert regions to a new sampler Instrument. You can see how this would waste a lot of resources.

I have been a logic user for over a decade and this hurts to see such a good update lacking this one ability. Or maybe I am doing something wrong. (I hope so)

I have a large library of custom sampler instruments of different kinds. A lot of which are just single audio files that have been chopped up into 70+ pieces. All the sampler Instruments that I created using the old EXS24 still open and work flawlessly while referencing only the one source file they were created with.

Thank you so much for your help.

Posted on Jul 25, 2023 5:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2023 3:03 AM

UPDATE: It works if you convert it from a “quick sampler” instrument to a “Sampler” Instrument

but that presents another problem -

The Quick Sampler is lacking a realtime manual chop option imo. As songs timing changes depending on the material. Human interaction is needed to feel when the slices need to happen, as it's more than a transient in most cases. We need the option to use our ears, and hit chops with a key command as the song plays… Something that logic allows us to do with audio files in the main window, but not in quick sampler as far as I can tell.

so can anyone tell me if there is an option for one of the following?

1) chopping with a key command in the quick sampler?

2) creating a quick sampler instrument with an audio file that’s already been chopped using

⌘T? 

3) Or simply the solution that doesn’t involve the quick sampler at all?

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 26, 2023 3:03 AM in response to Jbofosho

UPDATE: It works if you convert it from a “quick sampler” instrument to a “Sampler” Instrument

but that presents another problem -

The Quick Sampler is lacking a realtime manual chop option imo. As songs timing changes depending on the material. Human interaction is needed to feel when the slices need to happen, as it's more than a transient in most cases. We need the option to use our ears, and hit chops with a key command as the song plays… Something that logic allows us to do with audio files in the main window, but not in quick sampler as far as I can tell.

so can anyone tell me if there is an option for one of the following?

1) chopping with a key command in the quick sampler?

2) creating a quick sampler instrument with an audio file that’s already been chopped using

⌘T? 

3) Or simply the solution that doesn’t involve the quick sampler at all?

Convert a chopped audio file to a sampler instrument (not quick sampler) referencing the original single audio file.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.