You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers checkbook register

I've never used Numbers or anything like it. I'm looking for a simple checkbook template to replace my handwritten register. I've found templates in Numbers but there's nothing like it, not even under personal finance.

Does such a template exist? If so, where can I find it? Please be as specific as possible.

Posted on Jul 25, 2023 8:46 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2023 1:10 PM

I use this one of my own. The formula for calculating the balance will allow the table to be sorted and for rows to be moved around manually and for rows to be added or deleted anywhere in the main body of the table. Other checkbook registers might not be able to do that without the balance formulas getting mangled and the balance being off. It also keeps track of the reconciled items and provides the balance of just the reconciled items so you can easily compare it to your statement.

The first row is a header row

The last row is a footer row

Formulas:

G2 =SUM(OFFSET(G2,−1,0,1,1))−D2+E2

fill down to complete the column, other than the footer row

G14 =SUMIF(F,TRUE,E)−SUMIF(F,TRUE,D)

When you need more rows, drag down on the circle underneath all the row numbers at the bottom left. Or add a row in the middle by right clicking on a row number and choosing "add row above" or "add row below".

To manually rearrange a row, click on the row number then click and hold on the row number and the row will lift from the table. Move it to another row and drop it. The green line will indicate where it will go when dropped.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 25, 2023 1:10 PM in response to Jules555

I use this one of my own. The formula for calculating the balance will allow the table to be sorted and for rows to be moved around manually and for rows to be added or deleted anywhere in the main body of the table. Other checkbook registers might not be able to do that without the balance formulas getting mangled and the balance being off. It also keeps track of the reconciled items and provides the balance of just the reconciled items so you can easily compare it to your statement.

The first row is a header row

The last row is a footer row

Formulas:

G2 =SUM(OFFSET(G2,−1,0,1,1))−D2+E2

fill down to complete the column, other than the footer row

G14 =SUMIF(F,TRUE,E)−SUMIF(F,TRUE,D)

When you need more rows, drag down on the circle underneath all the row numbers at the bottom left. Or add a row in the middle by right clicking on a row number and choosing "add row above" or "add row below".

To manually rearrange a row, click on the row number then click and hold on the row number and the row will lift from the table. Move it to another row and drop it. The green line will indicate where it will go when dropped.

Jul 25, 2023 6:15 PM in response to SGIII

I recommend not sorting or moving rows around with that template. Sorting may give cell reference errors due to a long-standing bug in Numbers that they have neglected to fix for three long years and numerous releases. Moving rows around by hand will give incorrect balances. Changing the formula in the balance column would fix these problems.

Numbers checkbook register

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.